Sunday, September 10, 2006

Awake

It's a beautiful morning with the promise of both rain and autumn in the air. The lack of air conditioning means that I'm living with windows open, and I've learned that morning has its own smell as well as its own sounds and quality of light. The combination of grass, dirt, dew and the fading roses is different before the sun bakes the earth. Somewhere along the way, I've forgotten this, and re-learning this makes me feel younger, alert, grounded in and appreciative of my senses. This freshness is a pleasurable contrast to my own just out of bed, rumpled, bedheaded staleness. The memories of nightsweats and the difficulties of freeing my mind and body to rest and dream are not fading quickly enough. I know just one thing this morning. I have a new day, and I get to use it as I see fit. I get to create my life today, and I want to make something wonderful with it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shelina said...

yep, morning bring all sorts of possibilities.

September 10, 2006 11:08 AM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

As wonderful as air conditioning is, it does cut us off from our source. But if I lived in the south again, I'd have to have it after the cool of the morning had passed. I just absolutely shrivel in the heat. Sounds like you did a bit of reconnecting here; I'm glad.

September 10, 2006 1:22 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I love the fact that we get to create our lives each and every day of it. I don't always do so wisely, but I am always aware of the choice.

It sounds like you're overcoming your flirtation with boredom; that sort of disaffectedness you described ~ good for you! Go and be wonderful... :)

September 10, 2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I've been waking up before sunrise these days. I get to look out the window above my staircase and see the sun creeping over the horizon as I descent the stairs to start my day. It makes getting up early somewhat bearable... :-]

September 10, 2006 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home