Saturday, September 02, 2006

Mirror, mirror on the wall


I've always looked in other people's faces to see if I resemble them. It's almost an obsession. I think that it might come from being adopted and not resembling my parents at all. They were both olive skinned, hazel eyed, thin built and comparatively short. My dad was 5'9", and my mom 5'3". I hit 5'8" when I was 10 years old and have that kind of fair skin that never, ever tans but will repeatedly freckle and burn. I won't discuss the body again other than to say that six more pounds have been lost in the last two weeks, thanks to prescription diuretics.

When I found this at Waiting for life to start, a blog I've recently added to the daily reads, I was hooked. I'll admit that Lucy Lawless didn't surprise me. Once asked to describe myself to a new contact who was meeting me in a public place, I gave the basic description of hair, eyes and attire and then added, "Look for the largest beautiful woman in the room. I'm basically Xena gone to pot." I was tickled that Paula Deen was in the mix. I've told the husband before that's what I want to look like in about ten more years. I think my accent is as cute as hers, and I love her cookbooks and TV show.

When I was younger, I heard that I resembled Lynda Carter. Of course, the bod was significantly different then, but who wouldn't want to be Wonder Woman? Victoria Principal being in the mix surprised the heck out of me. So did Meredith Monroe, and I still don't see any resemblance. Now, I'd love to be able to write as beautifully as Isabel Allende, but I don't see the resemblance there either. Kofi Annan...I don't get that one either. Oh well, this was a fun little diversion for a night when insomnia grabbed hold.

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

"I've always looked in other people's faces to see if I resemble them. It's almost an obsession. I think that it might come from being adopted and not resembling my parents at all."

YES! Me too! I was 5'8" by the time I was 10 too (my mom is only 5'4") My parents are both very pale, blue eyed and Irish looking. I'm brown eyed, fair but very Germanic looking. I've done the My Heritage thing before. The collage thing is new. I'll have to run it again. The first time I did it I used a high school photo and a current photo to test the system. Some of the faces were the same, surprisingly. But most were different because I look so different now from how I looked way back when. I often wonder if I look like my birth family. Maybe I'll find out some day.

September 08, 2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Oh, that was fun and ego-boosting ~ thank you!

I uploaded my toony-self first and got...nada. Then I uploaded my really-self and got...Famke Janssen, Laura Graham, Bebe Neuwirth and Catherine Deneuve! Comment dit-on, in your dreams in French? ;D

I gave up wondering who I looked like a long time ago, although now that I think of it...sacre bleu(!) ~ could it be that Catherine Deneuve is my real mother?!

Alas probably not, but isn't it amusing to think so? And I can just hear Kofi now, intoning, "Cynthia, I am your father..." ;D

September 08, 2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Cynnie said...

Awww..you read me ?
I'm so honored!!
I put one really bad photo in and got Anthony Hopkins..
And the sad thing is I sort of see it.
I read you too!!!
Awww!!

September 11, 2006 2:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home