Monday, January 08, 2007

Mental sweepings

After being re-scheduled not once, not twice, but three times, my first project of the year closed today! Yay, let's hear it for paychecks.

Knowing that tomorrow I have to put the big girl pantyhose back on and go out selling, I've wrapped myself in my favorite flannel gown tonight, tossed an afghan my mother crocheted around my shoulders and have very mellow George Winston music on. If I hadn't had the hair cut too short to pull up, I'd probably have my hair in a bun. Yes, the glasses are halfway down my nose. Jeez, I must look about 80 tonight, but who cares? It will help me be phenomenal tomorrow.

This weekend I watched Little Miss Sunshine. I love this movie, everything about it. Greg Kinnear is detestable, pathetic and lovable as a failed motivational expert. The silent, eccentric, angry teen (Paul Dano) is perfect, as is Toni Collette as a good mom just trying to hold everything together. Alan Arkin is hilarious as the profane, heroin sniffing grandfather, and I absolutely adored the little girl played by Abigail Breslin. Pretty, chubby, innocent and brave, you just want to scoop her up and order her a double scoop of whatever ice cream she wants. It's also official. I now have a crush on Steve Carell who looks terrible in this movie and plays the role of a homosexual, suicidal scholar. (What that says about me I don't want to figure out.) Little Miss Sunshine takes a classic road movie, piles on eccentricity and satire, adds depth and sensitivity and becomes a story of hope and healing that will still make you laugh.

I wish my current book was half as engaging. I'm reading Anne Rice's Christ The Lord, Out of Egypt and just can't get into it. Jesus, about the age of seven, and his family have just returned to Nazareth from Alexandria. Israel is torn by rebellion following the death of Herod. Roman soldiers are crucifying rebels along the road and fighting in the temple. Jesus is just beginning to hear of the shushed up history of his parents. He knows he is different, but he doesn't really know how. After all, the book begins with him wishing a bully dead and then resurrecting him. I enjoy Anne Rice for more than vampires. Her writing style is lush, descriptive and evocative, and I don't know why I'm not more into this book. However, it's definitely worth hanging in there to see if I will enjoy it more.

I have half a dozen things on my to do list that just aren't going to get done tonight. I just hope that the laundry that won't be done doesn't include the womanchild's uniform pants for school tomorrow. I just want to stretch, yawn and total up my WW points for the day. I expect the womanchild home soon, and she'll probably have the boyfriend in tow. Seeing how he handles me in the flannel will be interesting, but I'm just too comfortable to change. I'm actually enjoying feeling scattershot and random tonight. It's a pleasure not making sense of everything, tying everything together and instead, just taking life in. What a perfect mood to pop in a dvd.

, , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger daringtowrite said...

Here's to comfy flannel gowns, mothers stitches around our shoulders and a heart-warming movie. Sounds like the remedy for just about anything.

January 08, 2007 10:11 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I mostly spent yesterday doing the same kind of thing...except we went to a favorite restaurant and indugled in plates and plates of Sunday buffet brunch. So I was slightly "over-inflated". Diet started today... :)

January 09, 2007 12:05 AM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Oh yes, I feel great in flannel. Congrats on closing the deal--money comes in very handy! Cyn, try to find POETS IN THEIR YOUTH, that book by Berryman's wife. It will shed a lot of light on his work. Also I remember Robin saying she did a thesis on Berryman. Maybe we should pump her for some ideas!

January 09, 2007 1:05 AM  
Blogger more cows than people said...

i'm totally with you on the movie! such a great movie!

congrats on finishing the project and for finding comfort for you last night.

January 09, 2007 7:28 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

What a lovely evocation of a perfect evening.

January 09, 2007 8:21 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

Great news Cynthia. A job well done should always be rewarded with comfort measures. To me, a good movie always feels like someone is reading to me..a little escape and relaxation. Always better with flannel.

January 09, 2007 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home