Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Random "I'm getting too old for this" rambling

Tired.
Droopy eyed, twitchy legged, not hearing things right tired.
So tired I'm typing badly enough for spell check to swear at me.
Another day where I left the house in time to take the daughter to school, and with one long break got home in time to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

The odd thing is until the body says Stop, Go Directly To Jail, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $100, I'm loving it. I'm finally finding a rhythm to my days, and that's making it easier. My boss and I share the desire to be organized and the ability to just not quite make it. I have to turn in a written plan for each day's work and then at the end of the day, show in writing how the plan worked. It's a good system, and it's helping me prepare more precisely targeted presentations, give myself more effective personal deadlines for followup and plan the shortest driving route. Fuel economy is a big concern.

Juggling the family calendar is getting more challenging as well. Balancing my appointments, the husband's and the womanchild's activities reminds me why we chose to live so close to family. I also want to buy a bigger calendar that includes everything where everybody can see it. Even with a 13 hour day, I still made time for my morning pages, Bible study, pleasure reading (OK, instructive pleasure reading. I'm redoing The Artist's Way.) and preparing my clothing for tomorrow, so I know I haven't totally lost control. Now to fit in some exercise time. (Tomorrow's soon enough for that.)

It's been a good day but the kind of day that leaves me wondering how I ended up with my closest friends being conservative republicans and how I became a contemplative Christian in an overwhelmingly evangelical environment. What did I do to earn such odd woman out karma? Not saying it's bad, but odd is odd. Geography maybe? Small, rural Southern towns are not the high water marks of diversity. I don't think that I'm that far out of the mainstream, or maybe I'm just deluding myself. Have I just seen myself as a misfit for so long that I created that reality for myself?

Right now, I'm just happy to have a purring kitten napping on me and another scouting me for a soft place to land. I can see the leap from desk to me being planned. I think I may have learned cat language too well for my own good. Anyway, napping kitten is about to get unceremoniously dumped since I'm hauling this worn out carcass to bed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the phrase "contemplative Christian." I think it describes you perfectly, and you're a wonderful, gracious example of your faith.

Ivy

February 02, 2006 4:27 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

You sound WAY too organized for me. I can never function under more than a very loose schedule. I get claustrophobic. Too much of a free spirit, I guess. Or a control freak...

February 02, 2006 10:19 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I like being a contemplative Christian :) Sounds like your new rhythm has got your creative juices flowing.

February 02, 2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

I like being the Odd one out...Gives such a wonderful perspective on the life that just teems about me...I WISH mor epeople could step outside that small little box they stand within!

Wonderful thought process!
I love the kitty on the lap, there is just a comfort in that, a trust that is just warm.

Peace

February 03, 2006 6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home