Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Metablogging

For days, I've been thinking that I'm a bad blogger. My blogroll is tremendous, and I read blogs every day, but I rarely comment. I know that I don't get the level of comments here that I did at the old J-land journal, so I've assumed that this was part of the transition to a different blog provider and finding out what a big, blogging world we're really in.

AOL was proud of the community quality of its journals. We were a neighborhood of bloggers, and some of the relationships that developed felt as cozy as a buddy dropping over a cup of coffee at the kitchen table. It wasn't until I moved though that I realized what a ghetto of a neighborhood it was. Some of the people blogging there are fantastic. That's why I'm still reading their blogs. But man, the facilities blew.

In some ways I feel like a nouveau riche housewife who's filling up her dandy new house with all sorts of wonderful new toys and gadgets. Buttons and chicklets and templates and audio links, oh my! Gimme more! Well, that's calming down, and I'm beginning to decide just what I do want in my blog, and slowly but surely, I'm figuring out how to get it. It just takes so much time. Jodi of Looking Beyond the Cracked Window(deux) has been designing templates that blow me away, including a test for my Crazy Quilt.

My curiousity is piqued. Now that I've figured out how to do an add-on, could I really design a whole blog? Hmmmmmmm. What a challenge. I really don't want to clean house. I can give that up to make time. The first rule of blogging is unavoidable and it applies here even more than it did to AOL-J: Blogging is a giant time sucking black hole, but it is a lot fun.

7 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

LOL You know the saying, you never know what you have until it's gone? I think our saying should be "you never knew what you didn't have until you got it."

Ghetto neighborhood. Perfect description. Good people; horrible conditions.

January 25, 2006 3:12 PM  
Blogger Abadiebitch said...

I don't get the comments nor the hits that I once got. I don't update as often but I do know what you mean. I wanted to blog about it but thought I would get a backlash. What I wanted to say was that I hate going over to AOL. I wish the people who have not moved yet will move because going there makes me not want to go there. The journals seem cartoonish and simple. I read once where AOL journals was like the bastard children of the blogworld, I can see why. And some of the decisions AOL makes are just lame, like picking Star Jones as a love coach. That makes me want to stay away from everyone left over there. I don't know why but it does. And the text will not load until after the ad loads. Sometimes not even then. Somtimes I have to press Archives, then back to journal, just to see the latest entry. I feel like I am slumming when I go over there.

January 26, 2006 2:31 AM  
Blogger SolitaryDancer said...

AOL is what it is. I have made wonderful friends in J-Land and I keep up my journals for my friends who choose not to venture out. I also have blogs here and at wordpress. I try to cross all barriers and invite all people to get a glimpse into my world.

January 26, 2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I like the new look of your blog, especially the Celtic knotwork blocks.

January 26, 2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

You are toooooo kind!
Thank you *curtsy*

As for the AOL thing? ARRRGGG...
I really have a distaste for going there. And the only reason I do is for the friends that remain.
I am sooooo close to deleting Looking over there. Yet I cant. Maybe as I am more vested into my new home, it will come with more ease.

Again THank you for the kind kind words...

January 27, 2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I was never a AOL J-lander, but most of the blogs I read are from the great exodus. I'm not good with the fancy stuff, but I like reading and commenting more than entries. I still like comments though. I'm sure Jodi will do your blog justice, she's good. I really enjoy your blog.

January 27, 2006 4:20 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

You are so not kidding about that giant sucking black hole ~ I've cut back on a lot of the time I spend reading/writing blogs for that very reason. Still, as you say, it can be fun. We should do what is enjoyable and the hell with the rest.

Bells and whistles are tremendously instructive. For example, if I hadn't come here tonight, how would I know that the current moon is a waning crescent, 4% full? :)

January 27, 2006 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home