Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Job interview ramblings

I just spent two hours in a job interview. It's actually my fourth interview with this company. Until today, I've been looking at this as just another potential job. Now, I'm excited, and I didn't think I would be. It's not a big or important job. I've had better titles, and I've earned more money in other jobs than this one will pay. However, I am so impressed with the people, and the attitude the company seems to hold. I've rarely had that feeling that a job could be so right for me, when by all surface appearances, it's just not me. Well, we'll see. I should know something by the end of the week. In the meantime, I've got my fingers crossed.

Jobs are complicated issues in people's lives. We all need to support ourselves, but a job does so much more than that. I've written before about how a job can provide meaning and a sense of mission in people's lives, but it's still more than that. Jobs provide the sense of community and belonging that neighborhoods used to provide. Most of us know more about the people we work with than the people we live near. For many people, work is the primary source of their social life.

That was one of the things people used to consider when they were picking the neighborhood they wanted to live in. Are these people in the same phase of life that I'm in? Do they share similar tastes and possibly beliefs? Those aren't questions we usually ask when we're job hunting, but we need to ask them. The answers have more effect on job satisfaction than the typical questions about salaries and benefits. It's tricky though. You can make yourself look like a total nutjob while you're checking out the corporate culture if you're not careful.

I always have to pump myself up for job interviews to get my energy and extroversion going. It's the same thing I always did prior to any sales call. Once I get my energy level where I want it, I can keep it there for hours. There's always a price though, a big energy dump that clearly announces when my "buzz" is over. I can't always control when the release will happen. Once it happened near the end of an all day interview with a large company. I'd talked with person after person all day long. My last contact for the day was with the local head of the company. Right before I went into his office, I just deflated and sat there yawning and stammering, wanting nothing more than a nap. Needless to say, I didn't get that job. That draining sensation just hit me, and I think I'm going to go take a nap. It's nice to think that I won't get to take a nap whenever I feel like it not too soon in the future. Some pleasures are best when you can't experience them any time you want.

18 Comments:

Blogger more cows than people said...

(o)

November 28, 2007 5:43 PM  
Blogger Magdalene6127 said...

It's so great to hear from you Cynthia. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

November 28, 2007 7:53 PM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you; I hope they realize how lucky they'll be to have you.

J

November 29, 2007 12:10 AM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

Good luck - I can only remember the stress...

November 29, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

The only thing that would be worse than being unemployed again and having to interview would be being single again and having to date! LOL

Good luck again!

November 29, 2007 4:33 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Interesting point, that thing about our jobs being what neighborhoods used to be. I never looked at it like that before, but I think you really hit the nail on the head.

Maybe that's one of the reasons why I never "clicked" at too many of the jobs I had in my life. I never checked out the neighborhood well enough...

November 30, 2007 1:04 AM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Good luck, Cyn. You're due something good to happen!

December 03, 2007 3:17 AM  
Blogger V said...

Any Thing new on the job?
Hugs,
V

December 04, 2007 6:11 PM  
Blogger Virginia said...

One of my hopes for the new year is that you will be able to get back to blogging. I have missed you!

Peace, Virginia

December 31, 2007 10:15 PM  
Blogger Magdalene6127 said...

Hello friend... you are missed.

Mags

January 10, 2008 7:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cynthia, thinking of you. How goes it?

January 23, 2008 7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been reading quite a few posts about how our jobs make us feel just lately. It's interesting, given how often my own life has taken me around the periphery of the employment market, rather than nestling me in the middle of it.

I guess it's less to do with which side of the divide you're on, and more to do with which of those jewels you take to work with you.

I like the way you describe the mission-statement wotsit for this blog.

January 24, 2008 6:43 AM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Wondering how it's all going.

Pax, C.

January 28, 2008 3:01 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Missin' you, Ms Cyn. Hope you have left the blogoshpere because you just have so many great things going on in your life that you have no time to blog. Or that your writing muse has taken you to greener, more lucrative pastures...

Take care!

February 07, 2008 1:17 PM  
Blogger Well Wisher said...

Cynthia dear Cynthia, your continued silence is forcing me to delurk . . . you don't know me and I don't know you but you write so beautifully and I hope you will eventually find your way back to us.

Best wishes to you and yours.

February 14, 2008 5:40 PM  
Blogger Magdalene6127 said...

Still missing you...

February 27, 2008 10:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Hey...

Another month, another comment... ;)

Just wanted to leave word that you are still missed. I think about you often. Keep thinking I need to send you some snail mail, but I never have the time. Hope you come back here from time to time to see that we all miss you. Hope you and the womanchild are well.

:-]

March 19, 2008 2:01 AM  
Blogger Jul said...

Does anyone know if Cynthia and her daughter are all right? If someone is in direct contact with her it would be nice to see a comment posted saying so, so those of us who only know her via the internet, yet still care deeply for her welfare aren't left in the dark missing her so much.

April 10, 2008 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home