Friday, September 28, 2007

The Friday Five

It's time again for The Friday Five, brought straight to you from RevGalBlogPals.

1. Best ending of a movie/book/TV show

The ultimate -- "Louis, this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship." (Cue La Marseillaise.)

2. Worst ending of a movie/book/TV show

I absolutely hated the way that Angel ended. Wesley dead, the good guys facing inevitable defeat against the forces of ultimate evil, no resolution, no hope, nada. I wasn't expecting everything all pretty and shiny, neatly wrapped up with a bow, but c'mon.

3. Tell about a memorable goodbye you've experienced.

I don't think this really counts, but here it is. The last words my mother and I spoke to each other were in an argument. Two days later she died suddenly of an abdominal aneurysm. The night she died, near the time of her death, I was on my couch under an afghan my mother had crocheted me for while I was in college. (It still looks great. She did excellent crochet work.) Out of nowhere, I said, "My mother made this for me. I am wrapped up in my mother's love." A line like that was seriously out of character for me, and my family gave me one of those looks meaning my weirdness had surfaced again. When I found out the next morning that my mother had died, well, I've felt that moment in her afghan was our good-bye.

4. Is it true that "all good things must come to an end"?

I think so. If they didn't, we wouldn't appreciate them.

5. "Everything I ever let go of has claw marks on it." --Anne Lamott
Discuss.

I don't know how to let go of things. I tend to hold on until things let go of me, and then I stand there wondering what, when, how, where. "I didn't notice, and now you're gone. Nooooooooo." Sometimes, it's been a blessing. Perfectionism disappeared. One day I sweated everything, and then I just didn't, other than the rare odd twinge. I don't know how it happened, but I'm grateful. Jealousies and hurts have disappeared also. Forgiveness and grace moved in instead. I have to admit they improve the neighborhood. Sadly, friends and lovers have wafted out of my existence as well. Those vacancies are held in place with memory, but I'm all too aware that even that can slip away from me. There is no guarantee I can keep those memories. My memory I will fight to hold. It will have claw marks before I let it go.


Bonus: "It isn't over until the fat lady sings." I've never loved this expression. So propose an alternative: "It isn't over until ____________________"

Well, since my to do list is roughly five miles long and I can't sing worth beans, let's try, "It isn't over til the fat lady is on the cover of Vogue." That ought to give me plenty of time for absolutely anything I want to do.

1 Comments:

Blogger daringtowrite said...

Love #1: Your memorable good-bye with your mother.

Love#2: "That ought to give me plenty of time for absolutely anything I want to do."

September 29, 2007 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home