Sunday, August 13, 2006

A beautiful day

I've had a beautiful day for no reason whatsoever. I haven't been to any place of such physical beauty that it's moved and inspired me. I haven't been surrounded by friends just out to have a good time. There hasn't been a great book or movie that's inspired me. I haven't accomplished anything other than hauling my body out of bed to get to church on time and feeding the womanchild and myself. In fact, I've struggled most of the day to keep an incipient migraine at bay. It's been beautiful in spite of itself.

I woke up from a nap to find a kitten snuggling between my shoulder and my cheek. This kitten is supposed to be living outdoors now and had snuck inside unnoticed. When it saw that I was awake, it licked my nose and grabbed my finger with its paws and started purring. My heart just melted.

My mother-in-law and her sister came over this afternoon. It would be very easy for them to treat me with anger now. I've basically told the lifelong apple of their eye to get out until he gets himself together. Instead, they came bearing practical gifts from finding a great sale at a dollar store and stocked us up on things like toilet paper, shampoo, and garbage bags. They told me they'll always love me regardless of how this works out.

My contrary floor scrubber, a near antique, decided to work beautifully, and the floor under and around one of the litter boxes actually looks and smells decent for a change.

I got hugged a lot at church today, people who just came up to me and wanted me to know they've been thinking of me and that I've been in their prayers.

Today's sermon, part of a series that's showing how the Twelve Steps of the Anonymous recovery programs relate to principles of Christian living, focused on the tough steps, moral inventory and making amends. The recovering fundamentalist in me feared that it would hearken back to the worthless sinner sermons I used to hear. Instead, I was reminded once again that the best way to show the changes being a Christian brings to one's life is to love.

These aren't miracles, but they've shown me beauty in a world that can be ugly, cruel and scary so often. How can I not be grateful?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this was a beautiful day!! Reassurances from every corner that you are not alone, that you are loved. Praying you and hubby get it all sorted out.

August 14, 2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Sorry for your troubles, Cyn, but happy about your day. Now for another...and another...

August 14, 2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

You sound at peace and surrounded by love.

August 15, 2006 6:58 AM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

Please know you are in my thoughts. Sending all warm wishes to the universe for you.

August 15, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Sounds to me like you had lots of good reasons to have a beautiful day. Hope you have many many more.

August 15, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Nelle said...

Sounds like just the kind of day we all need once in awhile. Glad your MIL can be a source of support for you right now. Hope things work out the way that is best for you.

August 16, 2006 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home