Saturday, February 07, 2009

Thawing, maybe

It's supposed to get up to 70 degrees today. I'll probably be freezing again in a few more days, but I want to savor this hint of spring while we have it.

It's been a long, bleak winter, and there's more ahead. I won't delude myself. I still have a good deal of hunkering down under a blanket to do. The nights are still too quiet and too long, but I do have hot chocolate and popcorn.

Today should give me a hint though of something different to come. I don't want to be sentimental. I don't want to be a sappy Pollyanna, but I can't think of Spring without thinking of hope. Hope for renewal, hope for change, hope for that do over we never get but always want.

The reality of Spring for me is usually a runny nose and itchy eyes, so it's not the idyllic reverie I have on a sleepless winter night. The beauty and a certain degree of comfort that winter doesn't hold is definitely there, but I won't pretend that Spring or anything else in my life is just perfect.
But the hope of Spring is definitely good enough today.

The art is Country Garden by Gustav Klimt.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sage Ravenwood said...

I think we all have some form of eternal Spring within us, to weather the storms of our lives. Enjoy the beauty and wonderment of this unexpected warm day dear one! (Hugs)Indigo

February 07, 2009 11:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'd like a little spring.

February 07, 2009 2:27 PM  
Blogger Jul said...

The promise of Spring has been in the air here in the North East all daytoday with temperatures reaching nearly 40 degrees. I hope Spring brings us all a renewed sense of life, energy and happiness.

February 07, 2009 6:06 PM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

Feeling a hint of hope is always welcome.

February 07, 2009 8:41 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

70 degrees? That isn't a hint of spring, that's a holler in your ear with a megaphone.

Looking forward to spring myself, this year. I think...

February 07, 2009 8:44 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Lisa, did you forget where I live? Spring is 85 degrees with the humidity only in the 80% range. I saw women today still in heavy coats and scarves.

February 07, 2009 10:10 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I must be the only living human in the world who actually enjoys winter. And somehow never gets one. Hunkering down under a blanket with popcorn and chocolate does not sound so bad to me. Throw in some Merlot and a Truly Trashy Reality TV marathon and I'm good for a 'very special' season of Survivor: Hibernation; The Duration.

But I do hear you, about Spring and hope and new beginnings. I see joy in your Klimt. And promise...(( ))

February 07, 2009 10:59 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

I enjoy the changing seasons, but spring is the most exciting time of year. Watching to see which trees bud first, seeing the hyacinths poking out of the ground (they're already doing that here), wondering what my tulips are going to look like.

Of course there's the excitement of tornado warnings, too. I could do without that.

February 08, 2009 6:39 AM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

The nights are still way too long! Come on spring and that time change!! Love the picture..

February 08, 2009 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home