Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Entertainment value

One of the hardest things about difficult financial times is that hospitality is one of the things that first falls by the wayside for me. Since most of my friends have allergies, sharing my home with so many animals doesn't make my home the best destination choice for dinner or an evening with a DVD. I have always tried to be a good guest, bringing a bottle of wine, a plate of brownies or something like that. Lately, when I've been invited over, all I've been able to bring has been myself. I've tried to make up for that by being a helpful and entertaining guest. Looks like that too has dropped off my charts.

Sunday night, I went to see some old and dear friends. We've known each other since college, and there's not much we don't know about each other. We ate dinner, sat down to watch a movie, and soon, I was fast asleep on their couch. S. woke me up hours later to tuck me in for the night. Despite that, she asked me back last night, and I went with the promise that I wouldn't fall asleep on them. Wrong! It happened again. She said one minute I was talking, and the next I was just out. She did assure me that even asleep I was amusing. Besides snoring, I talk and kick my left leg, only my left leg. This morning, I told her I must be a can-can dancer in my dreams.

I haven't been sleeping well. In fact, I haven't been sleeping, and I think it felt so good to be around loving, trustworthy people that I was able to relax and let my body claim what it needed. While it's good to have friends like that, I think I might need to learn how to juggle, play the harmonica and tap dance before I go to their home next time. My entertainment value has definitely fallen. That, and my chocolate covered cherry brownies might make it up.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 11, 2009 3:28 PM  
Blogger Jul said...

When you are invited it is your presence that is the gift you bring. I am certain your conversation is nothing short of engaging, funny and inspirational. I know most people speak more articulately than they write, so I have no doubt you'd be a welcome guest anywhere. If gift giving is really that important to you, then next time you're invited somewhere, wear a bow.

February 11, 2009 3:30 PM  
Blogger lisaram said...

Good heavens, girl, you don't accept an invitation to a friend's home so you can entertain her! I'll bet your friends feel wonderful that you are comfortable enough to rest so well in their company.

What I wouldn't give to be able to have you come over and fall asleep on MY couch...

February 11, 2009 3:39 PM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I have a friend who can always nod off while on my sofa. That makes me feel so good that she is comfortable enough in my home to make it HER home as well. I think it must be like having a shawl of friendship that is so comforting that it lets you relax and get your much needed rest. I am sure your friends understand this and love you with or without brownies, although the chocolate covered cherry brownies do sound awesome.

February 11, 2009 6:00 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Cliff still tells people about how I fell asleep on our first date, at the drive-in movies.

He married me anyway, and he's been watching me fall asleep ever since.

February 11, 2009 7:12 PM  
Blogger Sage Ravenwood said...

If it were me I would take it as the utmost compliment that you felt so at ease. I'm the same, needing company in the house to feel like I can sleep. Whenever Paul plays weekend gigs, come Monday I have deep circles under my eyes. (Hugs)Indigo

February 11, 2009 7:56 PM  
Blogger IndigoSunMoon said...

Oh Cynthia! I just had to laugh at the Can Can dancer remark. HAhahahaa!!!
At least you have friends who don't put cheetos up your nose, and shaving cream on your chin and eyebrows and take your picture! LOL
Connie

February 11, 2009 10:16 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

When you posted this, I was working on similar thoughts, finally just posted at Desert Year.

February 12, 2009 7:46 AM  
Blogger TJ said...

Friends don't expect gold nichols and a dance, nor would they except them.
The best of the best in the comforts of friendship even if it is sleeping on their couch.
Take care of yourself that is all any friend could ask for.
Have a friend-be afriend.
Hugs TJ

February 12, 2009 4:49 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

You needed that sleep surrounded by the comfort of friends. I would do the same for mine and consider it a compliment that they felt comfortable enough to really relax. Besides.....post menopausal women NEVER sleep. Doc can fall asleep before 7:30 and sleep soundly. Sometimes I just HATE that about him. Lovingly, Anne

February 13, 2009 4:02 AM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

Hey sweetie! I agree with the others who say they take it as a comfort and a compliment when folks fall asleep on thier couch. I have a girlfriend who sleeps over now and then and we always stay up late talking. She always falls asleep first, curled up on the sofa (one time, on the floor in front of the fireplace) while I stay up late working or cleaning or watching tv. I LOVE the company and see her as a sister--a great comfort since I'm so far from family. And BTW, when I can't afford gifts, I bring poems. :)
Love ya!

February 14, 2009 11:45 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Everyone knows it hasn't really been a party until someone is passed out on the sofa, snoring, kicking, and preferably still chatting away. I myself have won many an argument under just those very circumstances.

It sounds like you've diagnosed yourself very well. Until you've passed through this stage of your grief, you may have to submit to a a few more friendly, spontaneous slumber parties. And of course, chocolate cherry brownies never hurt a slumber party.

February 16, 2009 8:34 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Oh, I loved your can-can remark -- it brought back a memory of a dance recital oh-so-many-years ago.

I'm certain your friends love you however you are ... awake or asleep. To me, it is a compliment to have someone nod off in my presence. It shows the absolute trust of our relationship.

Besides, who needs a cranky Cynthia?

pssst ... get your rest. Even if it is at a friend's house.

February 17, 2009 8:30 AM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

Where did you go?? Are you okay?

March 03, 2009 1:54 PM  
Blogger Sarah S-D said...

missing you! finally thanked you for an award at my place.

March 08, 2009 3:50 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

I think about you...TJ

March 15, 2009 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home