Friday, October 31, 2008

Arching an eyebrow at family legacies

It's been a hell of a week. Tomorrow, in my region's largest city, which with a population of around 50,000 is really just a big town, there is going to be a Celtic Fest. It's something I usually enjoy. There's modern and traditional Celtic music, crafts, a caber toss, Irish dancers, lots of booths with clan memorabilia, and food -- more of the corn dog and funnel cake variety than haggis or parritch (hey, this is the South). However, all I can think of are three of the mottos of the Scottish clans from which my family descended. One is "Per Virtutem et Scientemque" -- By virtue and knowledge. Goodness knows, I've strived for both, but I just won't comment on the success of either effort. Another is "Jamais Arriere" -- Never Behind. Hmph, well, that one's obviously not working for me. The final is "Disce Pati" -- Learn to endure. That lesson keeps going on and on and on and on.

clan mottoes

3 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Guess Disce Pai goes over my front door. And every door in the house.

November 01, 2008 8:20 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Oh, honestly.

Disce PaTi.

November 01, 2008 8:22 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I love Celtic fests! What with all the ale and haggis and all (although I'm pretty sure haggis has gone the way of smoking in California; it is now a felony).

At least your family mottos are much more dignified than mine; "Jamais ivre, jamias trop sobre"--Never drunk, never excessively sober, and "Si on se fait repérer, il faut fuir"--If we are spotted, we must flee.

Ours is not a noble background.

November 01, 2008 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home