Monday, October 20, 2008

Happy sounds

Last week as the school system's fall break. Since I live across the street from the elementary school playground, I couldn't help noticing. If I have the window in my home office open, I hear the sound of children laughing and playing all day. Last week, the only sounds I heard were much lighter traffic noises and the rumble of big farm equipment. It felt strange. I really missed the kids. I like having that happy noise in the background. There are three girls on the swing set now, and one of them is almost over the top. Beside them is a much smaller girl who keeps running up to a swing and belly diving onto the seat. There's a messy, unruly gaggle of kids on the platform at the top of the slide. Ooh, one kid just jumped off.

The last few days have had me hip deep in paperwork, still resolving some of the business issues of widowhood. I've had a cat with diarrhea. I think the weeds in my back yard may be kin to Little Shop of Horror's Seymour, and my lawn mower is in the shop.

Oh, I'm definitely glad the kids are back in school. I think I may be addicted to playground noises, and for this no rehab is needed. No, no, no.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I guess I'm really becoming an old fart. The neighbors behind us erected an amusement park in their backyard after they cut down the trees. Unfortunately, I find their squealing kind of annoying.

Maybe it's just because the youngest is almost always bawling...

October 20, 2008 9:39 PM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I know what you mean. I'm addicted to those sounds too. It's one of the things I loved about working in child psych; having the kids come in and be off the wall.

October 20, 2008 10:50 PM  
Blogger cw2smom said...

I am sooo glad I found you on this stupid AOL migration, but damn it, I can't figure out how to add you or "follow" your blog! I don't know how bloglines works but will figure it out. I moved my Wearin' My Heart on My Sleeve to blogger if you care to "follow" me! Great to see you! Lisa/CW2smom

October 21, 2008 1:37 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

What the heck is with "fall break", we never had it until we moved to TN. You are right, there IS a feel about a weekday when kids are out of school.

October 23, 2008 10:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara In Caneyhead said...

I think it is swell you enjoy hearing their sounds and watching their play!

October 24, 2008 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home