Friday, May 02, 2008

The Friday Five

1. How do you pray best, alone or with others?

Definitely alone. There are times when praying in groups is just hard for me. If there are individuals taking turns with individual prayers, I tend to get focused on words and people, and my focus on God/dess falters. If one person is leading a group in prayer, it's a little easier, and there are times when a congregation recites the Lord's Prayer that I just feel the synergy and am uplifted. My best, or more accurately, my favorite prayers are conversations with God/dess. Two way conversations where I get to listen as well entreat, opine and question. Getting myself to that place where I can listen requires solitude, time and above all, grace.

2. Do you enjoy the discipline of waiting, is it a time of anticipation or anxiety?

I hate waiting, but I've learned a lot from it. Waiting used to be a time of anxiety for me. I wanted to move on with things. Waiting for a prayer to be answered has given me opportunities to do things that I would not have had the opportunity to do if the prayer had been answered my way in my time frame. It's good to remember now that waiting for prayer's answers brings gifts in their own right.

3. Is there a time when you have waited upon God for a specific promise?

Yes, and I'm still waiting.

4. Do you prefer stillness or action?

My natural inclination is to stillness, and I envy people who are action oriented.

5. If ( and this is slightly tongue in cheek) you were promised one gift spiritual or otherwise what would you choose to receive?

Oh man, this is a hard one. My first thought was faith. My faith is one of probing, questioning, circling my way through doubt and trying to make what is great and inexplicable make sense. I would love a rich, complete, innocent, childlike faith. However, question #4 and the events of the last few days have reminded me how much I would love to have the gift of love in action. Then there's wisdom, which is basically knowledge in action. Yes, I would love to have wisdom. Because I can't decide on my own, I'll make it easy and take what God/dess chooses to give me. Something tells me that might be best.

The Friday Five comes to you via RevGalsBlogPals.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

I love your entire answer to number 5.

May 02, 2008 7:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I find your writing these past few days to be an action of love.

May 02, 2008 7:56 AM  
Blogger Di said...

I'm thanking God for your stillness, grateful that there are people for whom it comes naturally.

May 02, 2008 8:19 AM  
Blogger Teri said...

I'm with mrs. m--so glad there are people who have the gift of stillness!

btw: I've been lurking for a few days now and keep meaning to tell you how much I love your header. :-)

May 02, 2008 9:10 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

thanks for this!

May 02, 2008 11:32 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

When it comes to #4, you and I are polar opposites... :-]

May 03, 2008 12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home