Thursday, February 15, 2007

Just great

this is just what every mother of a vegetarian wants to hear about one of the primary sources of protein in her child's diet. I think we can forget the Thai noodles with spicy peanut sauce I had planned for this weekend. What kills me is that most of the time I'm not particularly brand loyal, but there are certain brands I will always pick -- Cheer detergent, Charmin toilet paper, Formby furniture care products, Progresso soups and Peter Pan Peanut Butter. I think it's simply the best on the market, and now salmonella has hit my concern list.

When the womanchild gave up meat, I feared an escalation of the dormant eating disorder, yet her octo-lacto vegetarian diet made her more conscious about proper nutrition. Getting enough protein is the biggest challenge we face in her diet now. (Well, that and she really doesn't like vegetables, but that's another story.) You can only fix so many combinations of beans and rice before it gets really old, no matter how many colors of beans and rice you use. Peanut butter is our lifeline. It's one of my treats because it satisfies my desire for creamy foods and gives just enough sweetness to satisfy but not trigger a craving for more sugar. It's always good for a snack, and it's a quick fix snack that still goes a long way for keeping her body strong and healthy.

My inner hypochondriac thinks I have a tummy ache.

,, ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Nelle said...

Damn I always buy Peter Pan too. I will have to go check the jar code when I sign off. My son has been a vegan for 15 years. He has discovered beans and loves to make many dishes using them, including meatless chili. He prefers to buy dryed beans and soak them in water. Check out PETA for some great recipes.

February 15, 2007 2:10 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

Since Cliff had CABG, we only use Smucker's natural peanut butter. All popular brands are partially hydrogenated, and we don't to trans-fats in this house now. The natural peanut butter is a bit of a pain because you have to keep it in the refrigerator or it separates. But that's a small price to pay.

February 15, 2007 2:59 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Ugh! Don't it make you wonder: how the hell does somebody mess up PEANUT BUTTER!!! Peter Pan is my chosen brand, too.

February 15, 2007 3:29 PM  
Blogger Virginia said...

A vegetarian that doesn't like vegetables. . . . I thought I was the only one!?!?! Now you can imagine even more that most people my challenge when I cannot fall back on pasta dishes when trying to find something to eat. (Even most peanut butter has too much sugar in it for me.)

Peace, Virginia

February 15, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

I always go for the natural peanut butters too, because of the trans-fats thing. A dash of honey might satisfy your sugar urge.

February 17, 2007 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home