Monday, August 07, 2006

The end of summer

School starts again for the womanchild on Wednesday, and yes, that is a huge sigh of relief you hear in the background. Just this afternoon, we were liquid stitching patches for The Smiths, The Clash, Death Cab for Cutie and The Postal Service onto the khaki messenger bag she chose instead of a backpack this year, leaving a good space in the middle for her collection of buttons and pins. Uniforms have been bought. The hemming is supposed to be done on her pants tomorrow. We're stocked on notebooks, pens and mechanical pencils, and we pick up her final schedule tomorrow.

That makes tonight her last real night of summer vacation. You just can't count the night before school starts when you have to set the alarm and make sure you're going to bed early. So, she's off to a concert with her un-date. We went through the ritual of checking which pair of pants looked best through numerous changes. The top had to look sexy, but not too sexy. (Her choice, not my restrictions, thank goodness.) The eyeliner and lipgloss had to be just right. I've gotten comfortable with this, even amused by it. I set her curfew a little later than normal. After all, we all need a taste of summer freedom.

Just a few minutes before she left, she told me, "Don't worry, Mom. I bought condoms in case I have too many tequila shots."

Raising a smart ass can be a lot of fun if you've got nerves of steel and can tell when she's kidding.


(Note: The kid has never caused any real trouble, and if she were drinking or having sex, she wouldn't be joking about it.)

6 Comments:

Blogger QuakerDave said...

This kid has excellent taste in music! We approve. Best of luck for a great year.

August 07, 2006 9:32 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

wow, school has started already? Ours doesn't start until the 23rd. Of course, there is summer school which doesn't end until the 16th.

August 07, 2006 10:17 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Oh, so soon.....!

August 08, 2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Arrrrggghhh!

August 08, 2006 10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when they can come back with quips like that.

It seems so long since my world was ruled by the school calendar. In some ways I miss it and in others....its nice not to be ruled by a calendar.

Enjoy your next few days change of pace, both of you!

August 09, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Christina K Brown said...

That's ok...my soon to be 14year old told me not to have sex and drink at my church camp.

She waited until I took a drink of my soda too.

Smart ass.

xxoo

School starts here on the 30th.

August 12, 2006 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home