Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Duality and wholeness

I was art browsing this morning, and this painting just surprised and delighted me. I'd never seen it before, and it was just so unexpected.

Sometimes I feel that I live on the line between yin and yang. I love good manners and have a trash mouth. I love the whole girly hair-clothes-makeup thing, and my favorite form of exercise is weight lifting. I'm drawn equally to fine china and power tools. My spirituality feeds my earthiness, and vice versa.
I'm a right brain list maker. It's no surprise that I feel both rather interesting (despite the desperate ordinariness of my life) and a little nuts.

I'd never seen a painting from Pollock that was this literally interpretative. I love the James Dean-ness of the male head, the chalkboarded math figures both a barrier and a frame for the female curves, the paramecium "eyes" on what could be assumed to be the female.

Here so many of the conceptions about what is male and female bang head on and meld into each other. Opposites co-exist and form one.

Jackson Pollock, Male and Female, 1942

6 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

It's paradox! The best place of all to live.

July 26, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Oh, I can't resist. The next word verification is "nougi." Isn't that a great new word? I gotta claim it. :-)

July 26, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger V said...

I really enjoyed your insights.
Thanks.
V

July 27, 2006 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that's a Pollock. I rather like it. Your ideas of yin and yang in combination are fascinating. I too often think of things as either/or and have to remind myself that things exist more on a plane, a continuum.
-Suzanne

July 27, 2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I love it when you art-browse! Pollock is just so fascinating an artist. And so very male!

I believe that we all encompass the yin and the ying, the male and the female ~ that it is this duality that brings balance to our lives. Without it, we would become male and female caricatures of ourselves, without empathy or depth.

Lovely post! :)

July 31, 2006 7:59 PM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

I like this very much. He's given us a lot to look at and contemplate here. What appeals to me most are the beautiful chalky colors. They draw me to take a closer look at all the detail.

August 04, 2006 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home