Saturday, July 29, 2006

Life sweepings

Any big project or change in my life seems to be accompanied by cleaning, and this week has been a flurry. I'm beginning a new marketing campaign at work with different strategies than I've been using, and it's taken a lot of prep time. I've done more shopping this week with the womanchild than I prefer to do, and I've scrubbed, wiped, washed, rearranged and thrown away until the hitch in my lower back is threatening to involve the body in a complete strike. Too bad that there's more that will be done. My best friend expects to get her hot tub repaired by the next weekend, so the timing for a bad back might just be optimal.

Cleanliness is a great way to fake a new beginning. The house looks better. It feels better. I'm optimistic about the project at work. School begins here in 11 days. Until then, the womanchild has several play rehearsals for Beauty and the Beast, so she's keeping busy. The husband is staying busy. I'm doing everything I can not to think right now. I've had enough of that for awhile. I just want to stay in perpetual motion until I sleep. This is an over-reaction to a personal problem, but more action is definitely one of the changes that I need. I just have to trust myself that this will level off, instead of swinging into total inertia.

The womanchild has made a new friend at the theater. He keeps buying her dinner and asking her to movies. They're not dates, though. No way. (Yeah, right.) He seems to be very nice, but this is a parental dilemma. Just shy of 16, C. is very responsible, more mature than many kids her age, but when she makes a mistake, she tends to make whoppers. He just graduated from high school in May and just turned 19. 16...19, three years, somehow that difference didn't seem quite as large when I was dating a 20 year old when I was 17. I know what I need to do is get to know this young man better and see if he's trustworthy, but I think I might have threatened the womanchild too many times that I would use meeting her dates as an excellent opportunity to display my shotgun cleaning skills. One of the great and terrible things about living in a small town though is that no one is off the knowledge and gossip grid. If you don't want everybody to know your business, you're totally out of luck, but when you need to know something, it's just a few phone calls away.

7 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Happy un-dating to the Womanchild!

July 29, 2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

"Cleanliness is a great way to fake a new beginning." How I love that sentence, and how I am practicing it today!

July 29, 2006 6:53 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

If you run out of things to clean at your house, there are plenty to be had at mine...

July 30, 2006 2:14 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Oh, I wish I could clean like that right now! But the only tolerable room in the house is the basement. I just came up from the laundry and I bet it's 15 degrees cooler down there.

Dating at 16 and 19...yeah, I remember that. I wish I could say something uplifting but I can't. That turned into a Very Bad Year for me.

OTH (more cheefrul now) your womanchild is light years more mature at 16 than I was at 26.

July 30, 2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I find cleaning makes me feel better too. Give some something productive to do, and makes the house cleaner, thereby making me feel better twice! Don't overdo it though. Have you heard of flylady? Go to www.flylady.net and sign up for her mailing list. She's got great ideas.

Ahh dating, or un-dating. I'm still trying to figure out my rules for my daughter. So far since neither drives, I've been able to make sure they go to safe - public - places, like a park or a movie theater, and are generally with someone else. I tell her, it isn't that I don't trust her, I want to avoid the appearance of impropriety. Luckily his mother is stricter than I am.

July 30, 2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Globetrotter said...

Very well said!

Good luck with the snooping... er....inquiring.

I'm off to buy some Lysol!

July 31, 2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

I grew up in a small town and my mother depended on just that strategy to know what was what. She confided in me that she knew enough connections to the kids I hung with that she was confident that she'd hear about anything she needed to know. She got lucky with me....I never did anything she needed to worry about.

August 04, 2006 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home