Friday, June 16, 2006

Happy Anniversary to us

I was married 20 years ago today. Leaving for our day's schedule at different times meant the husband and I didn't see each other until this evening. By then, he was in one of the outfits I won't allow him to wear in public. I'd sweated my makeup off, the hair was up in the traditional evening ponytail, and my feet were swollen. He'd worked today, brought his mother home from the hospital, put out everything for the yard sale we're having tomorrow and was staggering on his feet from fatigue. I was in the nearly mute stage of the transition from work to home. This was hardly the breeding ground for romance.

I didn't expect a present. My commissions have been less than anticipated lately. In fact, our marriage has been less than anticipated lately, and my husband has never been much a gift giver. My own personal tool set for Christmas was one of the best gifts I've ever received from him. The womanchild and I met him at his mother's house, and he told me to wait a minute. He taped a hydrangea blossom onto a small gold foil wrapped package, kissed me on the cheek and said, "Happy Anniversary."

The tape and the flower made the package difficult to open, but when I peeled back the paper, I saw a package of cigarettes. The foil had already been removed, and I opened it to find a small silk drawstring pouch. Inside it were a choker of freshwater pearls interspersed with silver and jade beads, a bracelet and a pair of dangling freshwater pearl earrings.

I adore pearls (they're my birthstone) and have wanted some freshwater pearls for a long time.

He hasn't given me jewelry since he gave me a wedding ring.

The man took my breath away. He brought tears to my eyes. I'll remember this for a long, long time.

What do you do when you're married to the most infuriating, frustrating, loving man on the planet? You love him back and thank God/dess for him and for every infuriated, frustrated, love soaked minute you've had with him.




10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Happy Anniversary, you two! This was such a sweet entry. Isn't it true that just when you think you absolutely have to kill them, they do something that lets you know for certain that you would not be able to live without them? Hugs to you both, and many more.

June 16, 2006 11:31 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Cynthia, Allen and I celebrated our 32nd anniversary yesterday. Our son has been in the hospital again and we have been worried about him for days, but we took a day off yesterday and went to our favorite expensive restaurant in Toledo--Mancy's. We both got the crab-stuffed mushrooms, Porterhouse steaks (the most gorgeous, thick, tender steaks you've ever seen--my respects to the Womanchild who is a vegetarian), and Strawberries Romanoff for dessert. It really felt like a date, and we were able to forget our problems for a while and just be together. I'm glad you had a memorable anniversary, too. The jewelry sounds so pretty.

June 16, 2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Happy anniversary to my favorite low-maintenance woman.

June 17, 2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

just be happy. judi

June 17, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

How beautiful! Happy Anniversary!! You two have earned this love between you - I am happy for you, my dear.

Love, Vicky xx

June 17, 2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger Bon & Mal Mott said...

Happy Anniversary, Cynthia, and may love never fail you.

June 17, 2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

I just love reading posts by happily married women. So many women do nothing but complain. This post, for example, is a perfect balance of real life. Shows that things aren't always perfect between man and wife, but the love always shines through. I've been reading a book called Rules something. They said you will know within 30 days if you want to be married. Can you tell us how you met?

June 18, 2006 9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute!! I thought I was married to that man. LOL Very happy for both of you!

June 18, 2006 2:47 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

How lovely! Gifts from non-gift giving guys are even more precious. I know ~ I'm married to one, too. When they make the effort, it makes you go all dewy-eyed.

Happy 20th Anniversary!

June 19, 2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger Celeste said...

Wonderful man.

June 19, 2006 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home