Wednesday, November 30, 2005

In memoriam

I just found out that a former English teacher of mine died. She was the first AP English teacher in my home county. The high school literary magazine she directed won national awards, as did she for her writing and teaching. She retired a couple of years ago, and education suffered a loss for her leaving. The world has suffered a loss with her passing, because she was a wonderful teacher but an even better human being. I was honored to call her teacher and even more so to call her friend. She helped me become the person and the writer that I am, and I will feel her imprint on my life until I die. She was the teacher who taught the creative writing class I described as a miracle a few entries ago. The first time I met her I was stunned by her aura, this radiant, bright yellow that seemed to fill half the room. It was like looking into the sun, and that is how I will always remember her, vibrant, glowing and beautiful.

The friends I made in that class have scattered, and I no longer know where they are. In a drawer in my jewelry box is a piece of a torn dollar bill whose other shreds went to the other students in that class. It was the last time we met as a group, several years after we'd graduated. We promised to meet again, and that dollar bill came out of our teacher's wallet. She tore it apart and passed it around as a reminder. I've seen a few of those friends individually over the years, and like me, they've regretted that we never made it all together again. I wish we were together tonight, and I wish we could raise a glass to our teacher, our inspiration, our mentor and our friend.

L, you were one hell of a lady.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina K Brown said...

Oh my sweet friend....

It isn't goodbye, it is until we meet again. That is how I like to think of it.

She helped me become the person and the writer that I am, and I will feel her imprint on my life until I die.

That is exactly how I feel about my first AP english teacher too, the one who gave me my copy of The Prophet right after my father was murdered. The one who told me my joy could be flavored by sorrow.

I wonder if these women know how much impact they make? I hope so.



Hugs sweet friend.

Salute.

November 30, 2005 10:36 PM  
Blogger Virginia said...

Her legacy lives on.

Peace,
Virginia

December 01, 2005 6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is with you always as she helped you become who you are.

December 01, 2005 7:44 AM  
Blogger SolitaryDancer said...

I can relate to this entry. The instructor that touched my life was a college professor. He was amazing and just a wonderfully engaging man. I saw hime several times out side of class. He was always in the senior olympics, he biked across country and was the best story teller you could imagine. He made the History Of Psychology the most fascinating class I ever had.

I still have entries he wrote for his journal and a copy of a book he self-published.

I thank God for the memories of a fine man, Sam!

December 01, 2005 8:47 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Truly a life well-lived. How nice if you could all get together and tip a glass to your mentor. Lisa :-]

December 01, 2005 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home