Saturday, August 28, 2010

Restoring the Honor

Dear Mr. Beck

I've heard and read some of your words. These have really stood out for me.

"I beg you, look for the words 'social justice' or 'economic justice' on your church Web site. If you find it, run as fast as you can. Social justice and economic justice, they are code words." (Fox News Glenn Beck, March 2010)

"This president, I think has exposed himself over and over again as a guy who has a deep seated hatred for white people or the white culture...I'm not saying he doesn't like white people, I'm saying he has a problem. This guy is, I believe, a racist." (Fox News Glenn Beck, July 28, 2009)

"The only Katrina victims we're seeing on television are the scumbags." (The Glenn Beck Radio Program, Sept. 9, 2005, 6 days after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans)

"Every night I get down on my knees and pray that Dennis Kucinich will burst into flames." (2003)

"Some may believe we're on the road to the Hitler youth." (on teaching children about climate change) (Fox News Glenn Beck, Feb. 5, 2009)

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it...No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong?" (The Glenn Beck Program, May 17, 2005)

So when you say something like this,
"...recognize your place to the Creator. Realize that He is our King. He is the one who guides and directs our life and protects us...I ask, not only if you would pray on your knees, but pray on your knees but with your door open for your children to see," (Restoring the Honor Rally in Washington, D.C., August 28, 2010), I don't know how to react.

Sir, I am a Christian, and though I'm no Bible scholar, these comments made me think of a few Bible verses. Churches and social justice sent me to Micah 6:8 says "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." When you call our part Caucasian president a racist or compare teaching about climate change to the Nazi youth, I wondered how that fit with Proverbs 26:20 - 21, "Without wood a fire goes out: without gossip a quarrel dies down. As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife." Your remarks about Katrina victims brought this to mind,
Deuteronomy 15:7, 11, "If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the Lord, your God, is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother. There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land." Your comments about Kucinich and Moore took me first to Exodus 20: 13, "You shall not murder," and then to Matthew 5:28, "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." It just seems to me that the same standard can be applied to murder as adultery.

The disconnect between your earlier words and the teachings of the Christian religion I follow make it really hard for me to find much honor here. This same disconnect though did inspire me to prayer for my country, myself and, Mr. Beck, for you. We all need it.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nelle said...

Bravo.

August 29, 2010 8:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amen.

August 29, 2010 9:21 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Beautifully argued, my friend.

August 29, 2010 10:18 AM  
Blogger Magdalene6127 said...

Preach it, sister!

August 29, 2010 11:10 AM  
Blogger marigolds2 said...

Oh Cynthia, If I thought that any such true Christian (as yourself) could make any difference to this evil lunatic, I'd say "please send this post to Beck, ASAP." But I don't believe for a second that he is a Christian. He is a hypocrite and a liar, he will use whatever gets him further down his twisted road, gathers him the most followers on that road.

This country is in big big trouble.

Bruce Miller, BTW, calls Beck's rally "Whitestock."

August 29, 2010 10:25 PM  
Blogger JACKIE said...

I believe there is a passage where Jesus states that telling someone you hate them is the equivalent of having 'murder in your heart.'

I have gotten a morbid kick out of Mr Beck putting communism and nazism in the same sentence; they're totally different philosophies. Yes,both can lead to dictatorships; that's about the only similarity.

There was pesky foreigner of a teacher in Rome about the time of Augustine. His real name was probably Morgan (sea born in Welsh). He's known to history as Pelagius. He is supposed to have taught (among other teachings) that a rich person who refused to care for the poor and ill among us might end up killing more people than a murderer. And he was about as popular in some circles as social justice Christians are with Glenn Beck. The western church called him a heretic. Here's to heretics, great and small.

August 30, 2010 10:03 AM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

I think he is a sociopath; he has no feelings, Cyn. It's just all about him. The worst fate for somebody like this is to be ignored.

August 30, 2010 3:50 PM  
Blogger Virginia said...

Cynthia, what a classy response... what I have come to expect from you.

Thanks,

Virginia

September 02, 2010 8:24 PM  
Blogger cindy lee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 12, 2010 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home