Friday, June 12, 2009

The Friday Five

1. Grocery shopping--love it or hate it?
I am a grocer's daughter. When I was a kid, going to the grocery store, seeing my dad at work, how his customers and employees liked and respected him was a real pleasure. I was probably the only kid around who had to dress up to go to the grocery store, but I didn't mind. When I was a young adult and would just drop in on my dad at work, he always enjoyed it and took a few minutes for me no matter how busy he was. Then I grew up and grocery shopping became a chore. When my daughter developed her eating disorder (now other than body image issues inert), it became a nightmare. In the last year, I've had to relearn how to cook for one again, and grocery shopping has become more pleasurable again. It's almost me time, thinking about the things I'd like to cook and enjoying anticipating a good meal.

2. Who is the primary food shopper in your household?
Household of one person and 7 animals. Until they learn to drive and use the debit card, it's me.

3. Do you have a beloved store like TJ's which is unique to your location or family?
I simply adore Latham's in Jackson, TN, the best real butcher shop in the area, not to mention absolutely wonderful barbecue and a wonderful daily lunch buffet. Hmmm, I'm thinking ribs now.

4. How about a farmer's market, or CSA share, as we move into summer? Or do you grow your own fruits/veggies/herbs?
I would love to find a CSA group around here, but so far no luck. We do have an abundance of vegetable stands and a farm right on the edge of town that sells strawberries in the spring and early summer and pumpkins, gourds, hay bales and corn stalks in the fall. The strawberries they sell at a large stand, but the pumpkins are displayed in the front yard, and there's even an honor system payment box if no one is there to help you. I've lived here 10 years, and this town has been a part of my life for over 25 years, and that honor system has held up all this time. That's one of the really great things about living in a small town.

5. What's the favorite thing you buy at the grocery store?
Buying fresh produce always makes me feel good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

You win the prize for healthiest favorite!

June 12, 2009 5:29 PM  
Blogger Jul said...

I would love to just have to shop for myself and the furry children. Instead I shop for two other people. One who makes a list and then almost never wants anything she asks for and the other who usually cannot be bothered to be home for dinner on time, even when he knows the meal is being especially made for him. Growing up, when my Mother made dinner, she made the weekly menu and everyone had two choices. One was to be at the dinner table at 5PM when she had everything ready or two, go without. Ahhh, the good old days.

June 13, 2009 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home