Thursday, April 16, 2009

PAD 16

The Virgin's Rape

So red

the flame, the wine, the blouse,
the lipstick smudge,
the blood.

So pale
the skin, the fading moon,
the dawning sky,
her trembling wrist's
earth bound thud.
So black

his eyes, his hair, his heart,
the pummelled soil,
the canker on
the rose's bud.

Sometimes I get surprised by where a poem takes me when I'm writing. Today's prompt was color, and I chose red, because it's one of my favorite colors. I look wonderful in red, and I associate it with energy, confidence, energy, warmth, and charisma. If a sales person is asked their favorite color in a pre-employment personality test, the preferred response is red. Red is the color of the power tie. NBC's Today Show did an informal study that showed that men think women in red are more attractive than women in attire of other colors. For me, the emotional associations with the color red are more positive than negative, yet this dark poem is what emerged.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca Anne said...

I didn't feel exactly a 'dark' but a seductive tone throughout. Perhaps seductive and dark do actually go together. Of course, when reading poetry, I take the words of the writer and apply them to my internal workings on a connection level and thats the 'mood' I felt from your words.

I liked it a lot.....
Rebecca

April 18, 2009 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home