Wednesday, April 15, 2009

PAD 15

daddy's jitterbug

oh, daddy, who knew
you were ever so smooth?
dancing in the foyer,
feet cutting on the black slate floor,
laughing at the mistletoe
on the chandelier,
christmas tree lights
sparkling your eyes,
shoulders straight,
knees hopping,
hips gliding,
momma, twirling out
and laughing back in
to the curl of your arms.
your girls,
on the couch,

clapping and laughing.
oh, momma,
oh, daddy,
do it again.

The prompt for today's PAD Challenge was to take the title of a poem and change at least one word. My first thought was to do Intimations of Immorality (a play on Wordsworth), but that wouldn't quite do. I remember lines and phrases of poems, rarely their titles, so I grabbed one of the anthologies we have around the house and started looking just for a title that would grab me. Of course, I settled down and had a good read. Then I came across My Papa's Waltz by Theodore Roethke, and it made me remember a Christmas when my parents danced, laughing, after we'd opened presents. My parents loved to dance and indulged themselves in weekend country club dances regularly, but I rarely saw them dance at home. It's one of my favorite memories, and it did me good to rediscover it today.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

:-)

Word verification: delism. Almost Delirium.

April 16, 2009 1:58 AM  
Blogger Rebecca Anne said...

This was fun and a wonderful way to recreate a memory. Well done, I could picture the entire moment.

And then, I read your words about the origins of your words and they clicked together perfectly. I'm glad the memory brought you a smile on this day.
Rebecca

April 18, 2009 11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home