Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Healing

One of the ways I've always known I was a bit unusual was seeing auras. I've seen them as long as I can remember. It's usually not a constant event. I don't know if I subconsciously turn it on and off, if I get distracted and just don't care enough to notice them or if I just have good and bad days. It's probably all three and a few things I haven't thought of as well.

I've never really studied auras or given them more than a random thought when one strikes me as unusual. I just see them. As with everything else about a person's appearance, auras do tell me some things about a person. One of my closest friends has an aura that is almost constantly blue. When she's sick, it's muddy green. I can usually gauge the energy level of a person by the aura they emit, and sometimes I get a really good idea of when a person is lying or trying to conceal something. (When an aura rapidly pulls into a person while they're speaking and it comes back out just as rapidly when the subject changes, I always wonder. It also makes me pay more attention to other body language.) I've always thought it interesting that I've never been able to see the aura of a family member. Since the husband and I are still in the separation that won't move forward, I'm seeing his aura again for the first time in years.

Another bit of proof of my oddness is something I found accidentally. I'm known for good back rubs and have given serious thought to becoming a therapeutic masseuse. My boss has broken her back twice. While retaining full functionality, she's frequently in pain. She has joked more than once that she would write back rubs into my description. With the damage in her back, the area that's experiencing pain may not be the source of the pain. By touch, I can tell where the pain is more intense because I'm gripped by nausea. I can locate the source of pain because the skin temperature will be either hotter or colder than the surrounding area, but I won't experience the nausea.

I have a friend who is a witch. She sees my quirks as talents and has been encouraging me to develop them. She gave me a book called The Healer's Manual: A Beginner's Guide to Energy Healing for Yourself and Others, and I have to admit that I've been intrigued. It explains some of the basics of chakras, meridians, colors, aromas, herbs and more stuff like that. The exercises have been what's truly interesting. The ones I've done have focused on developing sensitivity to the energy emitted by the body. I wasn't really surprised to learn that feeling temperature variations can signal problems. I was surprised to be able to feel with my palm a pressure akin to two magnets of the same polarity pushing against each other coming from my body. I was even more surprised when with eyes closed and my hand held inches above a table, I was able to accurately determine the color of a shuffled stack of seven colored cards five times. Each card was the color of one shade of the rainbow, and the two I confused were yellow and orange. What floored me was an exercise on eliminating blockages in the meridians, energy lines that run through the body. A few hours after completing the exercise, I had triple my usual energy, and my house no longer looks disgraceful.

Could I have a healing touch? Probably not. Maybe. I don't know. Wouldn't it be cool? Years ago, when I was first blogging, Robbie asked anyone who wanted to answer what super power they'd like to have. I answered healing.

There are some of my Christian friends who would be offended that I started reading about this in a book given to me by a witch and not one from a Christian author. I have other Christian friends who see healing as a spiritual gift that hasn't been active since Biblical days and any form of healing touch as sinful, dangerously occult and definitely heretical. I know others who think that not having a healing touch is a sign of weak faith. And because one of my pet peeves is having all Christians painted as narrow minded intolerants, I have other Christian friends who would just think this interesting and provocative. Instead of this just being an interesting diversion from one of my more unusual friends, this has opened the door to some serious spiritual questioning on my part. Once more I'm getting to define what I really believe.

Yeah, I'm having fun with it, and I'm really missing RI. (Smooches to all my friends, some of the smartest, funniest, deepest, most spiritual and amazingly talented women I've ever met on the net. I miss you all and could still kick AOL in the butt for ruining our message board.)

, , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

After reading the first few lines of this post, my first thought was that you are obviously such a "mystic," (for lack of a better word) that I wondered why it is you have chosen Christianity as your spiritual path. Although I strongly suspect Jesus Christ possessed the "talent" of healing.

Please don't let the fettered minds of people who do not have your gifts determine what, if anything, you will do with them...

June 07, 2007 12:51 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Well, Lisa, Karl Rahner (famous Catholic theologian) says that the Christians of the future will be mystics or they will not be Christians at all.

Like most (all?) Christian theologians, he argues that the confirmation of mysticism is seen in one's actions on behalf of others.

Here's a good basic and very short intro to Christian mysticism:

http://www.nd.edu/~ndmag/su2006/cunningham.html

Even without aol, we can still converse.

June 07, 2007 5:51 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

June 07, 2007 5:54 AM  
Blogger more cows than people said...

so all i could think as i read this post was "isn't she seeking meaningful vocation at the moment? these gifts, and the joy she's finding in nurturing them, might just be the key." massage school? reiki training? there seems to be much potential here.

wow on your gifts. wow.

June 07, 2007 7:33 AM  
Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

Don't most Christians believe in gifts? Healing is most certainly one, and determining what needs to be healed would be a definite aspect to that gift. I agree with Lisa that Jesus most certainly had the gift of healing. As more cows says, you've been seeking...not sure if you like what you've found?

June 07, 2007 7:55 AM  
Blogger Christina K Brown said...

As on of your Christian friends I think that we all have Spiritual gifts that are given to us, but then you expected me to think that way. What you did not expect is for me to be unoffended by your search for truth in your gifts.

Of course you see our aruas, that is probably our true spirits right? Isn't that what spirituallity really is? Body, mind and spirit. Man's own trinity.

Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I believe that all humans have the ability to reach a greater level of awareness than we allow ourselves to obtain.

Maybe I should post my blog response and get off yours.

hehehehehe

Just wanted you to know this hard core Christian thinks you are dead on. And I study Wicca for a whole semester as a research paper in college, by the way, it isn't what most people assume.

Satanism is not Wiccan religion, two different things altogether. But most Christians do not take the time to educate themselves, they simply jump to conclusions.

xxooxxoo

June 07, 2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Wow... it sounds as if you have been given amazing gifts, that might well form a foundation for a life's work, if you would be interested in pursuing them. As MoreCows says, I think both reiki and massage are distinct possibilities.

Pax, C.

June 07, 2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Would a Christian, a Satanist, a Wiccan, a Hindu, make up more examples think that there was something wrong if you told them you could see what was in front of you, hear what what was around you and smell what was wafting your way?

You have a sense that isn't share by all of us. That doesn't make it good or bad, unless you use it for either.

June 07, 2007 6:18 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I hate Blogger comments on pop up boxes. There's no way to check spelling. Of course, I could have proof read what I wrote.

June 07, 2007 6:20 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

The human brain is truly the final frontier. We have little understanding how it works or where such gifts come from. Vicky (remember her?) has the power to see names as colors. She tells me my first name is red and my last name is blue. Jesus is silver. Your auras are obviously a deeply felt reality for you. I remember a blog entry long ago that you wrote about these auras. You saw them at a meeting you attended with your daughter. I also must say that I don't understand why any Christian would want to deny the truth of spiritual gifts or denigrate older religions. Truth can be found in many ways and in many places.

June 07, 2007 6:42 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

One other thing: don't underestimate the power of your writing to heal.

June 07, 2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

She's a witch! Burn Her!
She turned me into a newt!

ha!

I thought your bit on auras was interesting. I give Alexis' the absolute best massages. She's had professional LMNT ones before but swears mine are so much better. To me, a massage is all about total empathy, doing to someone else what I'd want done to me....literally.

Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog

June 09, 2007 7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home