Sunday, May 13, 2007

White roses

I love some of the old traditions. When I was a kid, women and girls alike wore corsages on Mother's Day, a red rose if your mother was still living, a white rose if she had died. Now corsages are just for proms, and some girls are reconsidering them then. Part of me though is looking for my rose. It would look odd with my polo shirt and capris, but I feel like I ought to be wearing one. What doesn't feel right is that it should be a white rose. It's been four years since she died. If we spent 24 hours together without fighting over something, it was a miracle. She's still my role model for charm, for grace, for straight talk, for being able to laugh at oneself, for persistence and for indefatigability. Ever practical, my mother pre-arranged her own funeral. Her coffin was draped with her favorite pink roses. It was fitting. I am somewhere between the red and the white, still making peace with what I'll always have of her and grateful for that legacy. I miss her so much today it hurts.

Mother's Day, white roses

6 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

A red rose to your mom, and a color of your choice to you.

May 13, 2007 4:43 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

I am sorry, Cynthia.

She was obviously an AMAZING role model, for all the things you listed plus just plain guts. If she were here, she would know that you honor her every day by being the woman you are.

May 13, 2007 5:25 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

(((Cyn))) :-]

May 13, 2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I remember that tradition. Wear the rose your mother would have wanted you to wear; capris, polo shirt and all. My mother would have wanted pink too. Celebrate them. And you. Happy Mother's Day, Cynthia.

May 13, 2007 11:06 PM  
Blogger Lippy said...

I'll bet you do, and you saying so speaks volumes for the legacy she left you. Always miss her. She deserves no less.

May 14, 2007 9:26 PM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Wishing you joy in memories-- even memories of fights (I remember fighting with my mom and long for it).

Pax, C.

May 15, 2007 6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home