Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Come to the dark side

I got tagged by Jimmy, the one and only Stupid Sheet Guy to participate in the Dark Side Survey.

1. You're forced to choose between one of the following vices. You have to choose, and do, one of them: Smoking, drinking, illicit drugs. Which would be the most acceptable to you?

I'm exhaling smoke as I write this, so my choice has been made. Deciding to start smoking is the biggest mistake and one of the real regrets in my life. I know all about the dangers to others from smoking, but of the three choices, this seems to be the one whose damage to anyone other than myself is the least immediate. While smoking, I maintain self-control in other areas of my behavior and life. That doesn't happen with booze and drugs.

2. You're forced to give up one of these senses: sight or hearing. Which one do you give up?

This is a tough, tough choice. My vision is failing already. I can feel the losses already. Losing my sight means that I would have to give up writing as I know it. Some of my best writing is visually descriptive, and I'd hate to think about having to pull that only from memory. Plus, my methods of writing and reading would have to change dramatically. Seeing the words unfold on the page is a pleasure in its own right. However, I'm more aurally attuned to the world. That doesn't mean I have musical talent or exceptional acuity, but it's more of my learning and comprehension style. I'm a sucker for a good voice. When my memory pulls something up from the depths, a bell rings. My husband also has a significant hearing loss, and I'm frequently reminded of Helen Keller who said that being blind separates you from things, and being deaf separates you from people. I'm already a quasi-hermit. Getting anymore separated from people would be too great a loss to bear, so blind I'd have to be.

3. Disregarding the previous question, you're only allowed to enjoy one thing from now on :music player (CD, iPod) or DVD player. Which would you keep?

The DVD. I'm too much of a movie nut, and this doesn't restrict me from radio, so I could still get music from another source.

4. You have to give up one of these for 3 days: eating or drinking. Which would you choose to do?

Water will keep you going longer, so I'd give up eating. A fast every now and then is good for the body and the spirit.

5. You have to choose one: perpetual daytime, or perpetual night time. Which one do you think you could live with?

Now this is a terrible choice. I crave the softness of the night. I can't even begin to imagine how much I'd miss that moment of magic when I first see the moon. Even more, I'd miss getting deep enough into the country for light pollution not to be an issue and lying in the grass, hypnotized by how many stars are above. To lose night is to lose wonder, mystery and awe. However, to give up brightness and warmth, accessibility, practicality and ease in most daily activities is unimaginable to me, so I'd have to give up night.

6. You can only choose one type of treat for life: salty snacks (potato chips, Doritos, etc) or candy. Which one?

Candy. I will not lose chocolate, one of the simplest, easiest luxuries life offers.

7. Your life partner has to be one of the following: heavy smoker or heavy drinker. Which one?

Smoker. It doesn't change a person's personality the way drinking does.

8. Your life partner also has to be one of the following: Democrat or Republican. Which one could you live with?

My closest friends are Republican. (I'm still confused over how that happened, but I love them anyway.) We have a wonderful time debating issues, but I want a little more emotional comfort in my home than that. Democrat it would have to be.

9. You can only watch one forever: CNN or FOX News Channel.

Both are terrible, so I don't care which one I lose. Tossing a coin, I'll keep CNN.

10. You can only have one: a computer or a TV. Which one do you keep?

Computer. I can do more with it than I can a TV.

11. You have to live in one of the following places: The Sahara Desert or Antarctica. Where do you go?

You can always put on more clothes and blankets, but there's a limit to how much you can take off. I'll take the Antarctic.

12. You have to give up one: MySpace or your cellphone. Which one do you keep?

I don't have a MySpace, and I actually did give up my cellphone. If someone wants to reach me there are multiple other numbers.

13. You have to do one of the following: create 1000 email surveys or answer 1000 email surveys. Which one?

My immediate gut reaction was to answer 1000. However, I feel like pushing myself today, and making up 100 surveys would take some real thought and creativity, so I'll be my better self and say I'll think up 1000.

I can never think of who to tag, so if you want to play along, here it is.

3 Comments:

Blogger goddessdivine said...

I stopped by your site to look at your answers. I too was tagged. We are opposites; I think we only share one or two of the same responses. Funny.

May 08, 2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I'm very simpatico with you in your answers here, and you're the only person I've read so far who's chosen blindness over deafness (as I would...and I loved that you quoted Helen Keller about it, that is such a great quote).

I enjoyed reading your answers.

Judi

May 08, 2007 10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those were hard questions. But I would choose salty snacks.

May 10, 2007 12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home