Thursday, April 26, 2007

The weekly weigh in, week 33

This week, I just hit the zone where things are working well, and I know they are. I ate good healthy, enjoyable foods within my daily points allowance. I indulged in a few treats that dipped about halfway into my weekly bonus points. I had fun cooking, and I exercised. Basically, I did the same things I did last week when I gained 3.4 pounds. This week I got the results I wanted though. I lost 7.8 pounds, bring my loss to 61.2 pounds.

I've been on more diets than I count over the years. Just to name a few, there's been Jenny Craig, Nutri-system, Atkins, Pritikins, TOPS, Our Weigh, L. A. Weight Loss, Doctor's and Nurses Weight Control, and at least three different diets prescribed by doctors, one of which involved weekly visits with a nutritionist. This is my third go round with Weight Watchers. I've counted carbs, calories, grams and now points. I was put on my first diet at the age of five. I was eleven when I had my first diet pill prescriptions. I've had acupuncture and acupressure. I've been hypnotized. I've belonged to gyms and had personalized workouts. I lost weight with everything, but I never reached what I considered a goal weight. Each and every time, I put back on the weight I'd lost and more. I've spent more time in my life restricting my food than I have in indulging in whatever I wanted. With a track record like that, the odds of me actually getting to and staying at a healthy weight are minuscule.

Well, fuck the odds.

I've never lost this much weight on any diet before. I've come close. To be honest, the most I've ever lost before has been sixty pounds, so we're not talking a huge difference yet. What has made this diet different for me is that the way I'm eating now feels natural, not like a cruel hiatus from normality. It doesn't just feel like a habit I'm acquiring for a goal, but something that's sustainable. I'm very aware that if this isn't the change that it feels like, I'll be back in the yo-yo cycle again. I know that I've got over a hundred pounds to go before I'll be where I want and need to be. I've never been one to quit just because a task wasn't easy, and I'm more determined than ever to apply that to my weight loss.

Weekly summary: Weekly loss - 7.8 pounds, Total loss -- 61.2 pounds, Average weekly loss -- 1.85 pounds.

, , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

Cynthia,

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I can totally relate to your struggle with losing weight.

Weight wasn't my problem though. Mine was drugs and alcohol. It took me nearly 20 years to figure it all out, but I have been clean and sober now for 6 and a half years.

You can do this! I know you can. Good luck and keep up the good work.

April 26, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Personally, I'm thinking there was something a little wonky with the WW scales last week. Seems unlikely that you'd lose so much weight in one week (unless you ate something REALLY salty the night before weighing in last week and drank a gallon of water...)

Anyway...no matter. This was a great week and I'm proud of you--not for the weight loss, but for your attitude. :-]

April 26, 2007 10:55 PM  
Blogger more cows than people said...

You rock! I knew your loss would be big this week. Your discipline last week accopanied by a significant gain didn't add up. Another good week meant that the weight you should have lost last week would come off PLUS whatever you lost this week! And it did! I celebrate with you crossing a point you've not crossed before.

You inspire me to get disciplined again. I've still been losing, but I've stopped counting points, I've gotten lenient, guessing, lazy... such patterns mean that when I do reach goal, soon, I'll start climbing up again. Thanks for reminding me.

April 27, 2007 5:56 AM  
Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

Congratulations! With your attitude you'll certainly get to your goal... but it's great to see you enjoying where you are now!!

April 27, 2007 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home