Monday, April 23, 2007

The first trickle of sweat

There are a few signals I can count on with the turning of the year; that first February day when I can tell that the wind has shifted into a spring breeze, the steamy late afternoon in October when the light has shifted a few unquantifiable degrees, changing the burnt out palette of summer to autumn's freshness, the first rainy morning in December that makes hibernation seem like a good idea. Then there's tonight, when I sit with open windows, watching the cats chase mosquitos and moths, hoping for a hint of breeze to ruffle the curtains, and gauging the humidity by the weight of my hair on my neck.

Summertime in the south will soon be here.

seasons

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Send some here, will ya?

April 23, 2007 11:33 PM  
Blogger Charlene ♥ NC said...

Hum... Don't you know I thought the same thing last night, sitting on the deck while my pup went out in my shorts and sleeveless tank - it's after 10 pm, and comfortable! The freeze of mid April threw us a little behind, but I do believe it's here!

April 24, 2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

As I listened to the air conditioner hum. I will turn it off in about an hour and open the windows for the rest of the night.

April 24, 2007 7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home