Monday, December 25, 2006

A Very Merry Christmas

Christmas Day has been as pleasant as I could have hoped for. After Midnight Mass, opening presents and hot chocolate with my "second" family of friends, the womanchild and I came home and crashed, two piles of flannel and chenille. Her in PJ bottoms and her boyfriend's T-shirt, me in my good old reliable gown. We slept late and woke to find three kittens peering out from about two thirds up the Christmas tree. They loved chasing the paper. The womanchild loved her gifts, and I loved hearing her say that her very modest in comparison stack of presents was just too much. It's wonderful to have someone so appreciative in the family.

As we opened presents from my sister and nephew,we had them on the speaker phone. Since our parents died, our relationship has been somewhat strained as we redefine what our family will be. Today, we laughed, and no one laughs like my sister.

Later we headed over to the mother-in-law's where we opened more presents with her and my husband. I would understand if she just hated me now, but she's been so warm and supportive. She spoiled the womanchild absolutely rotten and gave me some deliciously grapefruit scented bath and body products. The husband gave me a beautiful hand made and painted stationery box, the most thoughtful and perfect for me gift he has picked out in 25 years. As a bonus, the nephew gave me stationery.

Now, the womanchild and mother approved boyfriend are laughing in her room. I'm taking a break from washing dishes before I make our specifically requested Christmas feast of Belgian waffles for dinner. I'm pretending the fever and backache the UTI has brought on doesn't exist. I'll medicate, drink my cranberry juice and enjoy my day. Outside, it's been cold, rainy and dreary. The white Christmas we were promised squelched on us. Inside, it's been a different kind of Christmas for us, but it's been very good, warm, glowing and happy.

I hope it has been for you as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

It sounds lovely, Cynthia.

December 25, 2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I'm living Christmas vicariously this year through my friends' blogs...

Me? I pretty much just vegetated through the day, which is all I have the strength to do these days when I'm not at the cafe. It WAS pleasant to have a day when I didn't have to worry about what was going on at the restaurant while I was gone (it was closed...) But the crap started right up again yesterday morning! Sigh!

Glad you had a great Christmas, Cyn. And have a Happy New Year for me, will ya? :-]

December 27, 2006 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home