Saturday, December 16, 2006

Go Gov!

Tennessee's governor, Phil Bredesen, is in the hot spot again. This time, it's over his Christmas card. As the article explains, it features an original painting by Bredesen of a Muslim woman. Christians are upset because it doesn't feature a Christian scene. Muslims are upset that her covering is wrong.

Personally, I'm impressed. I like Bredesen in the first place. I didn't want to. He's a multi-millionaire who made his money in HMOs, an industry which darn near proves the existence of evil in the world. However, I do respect good businessmen, and he knows how to build a company and run it well. He also gave up receiving a salary for serving as governor. His republican predecessor had taken the state's treasury from a surplus to a deficit during his tenure, and while our economic problems are far from resolved, they're better than they were when he took over.

I have two reasons for being impressed though. Christmas is a time of year when Christians should reflect on their faith and allow God to lead them into new territory. When this really happens, new actions come about. Bredesen's wish for peace coming to devastated lands is a sign of this to me. Secondly, I'm impressed that this very busy man takes time to have a creative life that is not related to his job. That's something I struggle with every day, and when I see people whose days hold far greater responsibilities than my own manage to do it, I'm inspired myself.

Gov. Bredesen, kudos to you and a very Merry Christmas.

Phil Bredesen, Tennessee

1 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

And I am upset because her eyes are off-plane! This is offensive to all of us cock-eyed people, who struggle with the mockery of normal-eyed people everywhere, and especially around the holidays, when we are mistaken for drunken elves.

But your point is well-taken. Messages of peace, even those delivered by wealthy, HMO-enriched Republicans, should be received not with criticism but with grace and gratitude. Merry Christmas, Gov, you cock-eyed dreamer you! ;D

December 16, 2006 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home