Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Listen

Yesterday, I happened to hear this and haven't been able to get it out of my mind ever since. Though not literally so, this is a heartbeat. It goes on all the time outside of the range of conscious hearing, and we are oblivious. I can't help but think that on some level we know this is there, just as our bodies know the cycles of the moon. We may not be able to identify it, but we feel it with those primal instincts we're trained to ignore. When our earth sputters and shakes somewhere, are these the days when we just know that the rhythm of our world feels off?

It reminds me of womb sounds pulled from the memories of ultrasounds, and I can't help but think of being cradled and comforted by the greatest earth mother of them all.

NPR, seismic sounds

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG.. I heard this, too, on the way to teach, and had to sit in the parking lot at CBU until the segment ended. WOW.

December 17, 2006 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home