Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Another, more significant birthday

Sixteen years ago, my daughter was born, and it's hard to believe that it's been sixteen years, that the tiny baby with the delicate hands, beatific smile and a frown that looked like a perfect upside down "U" is now so close to womanhood. Damn, it's been a ride, and of all the people and things in my life, of all the blessings I've received, she still leaves me in awe. This morning, when we left the house to go to school and work, "her" yellow rosebush by our walkway held a perfect, single, newly opened bud. An October rose, how unusual, how delightful. It felt like the universe was celebrating with us.

It's not much of a birthday for her this year, and I regret that, but I have many wishes, more than I can list, more candles than any cake could bear.

My dear girl,

I wish that you always keep your passion and your courage. Even when we're rolling eyes at each other, even when I'm gritting my teeth to keep from yelling, even when you tell me that you've been arguing with teachers, that fire and drive in you makes me proud.

I hope that you keep your sensitivity and that you become more willing to let others see it. I hope you can channel some of that courage into letting your life become more open, despite the risks, the probability and the inevitable reality of getting hurt. I hope you're never afraid of your softer side. It has as much strength as your feisty one.

I hope that you will always push yourself to believe in the potential of life to bring you good things and in your ability to create good things.

I hope that you will embrace and celebrate your talents, your quirks, your weaknesses, your flaws, your strengths and your joys. You, my dear, are an original, and I hope you will believe in your ability to make your dreams a reality.

I hope you always value honesty as highly as you do now.

I hope you know that the wild swings, ups and downs, silences and spells of nonstop conversation are all a way that you're finding your own balance.

I hope you'll never be afraid to love and be loved, to accept that you are one of the treasures in this world, and to give generously of your gifts.

I hope you always have enough security to help you feel strong and enough challenges to help you stay humble.

I hope you'll always laugh and giggle freely.

I hope we can always find a night every now and then when we can stay up late talking.

I hope you know that it's been an honor to have you in my life.


11 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Happy Birthday, C!

October 03, 2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Happy Birthday to the woman child. And I would have given my right arm to see such an expression of love and acceptance from my mother. The woman child is lucky. She knows it.

October 04, 2006 12:05 AM  
Blogger Robbie said...

At 16 not so much a child anymore. Happy Birthday!! I hope all your wishes for her come true.

October 04, 2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Happy birtheday. What a sweet tribute!

October 04, 2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

We are Libras. Strong and Balanced. Always weighing both sides, but NOT indecisive !!
Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter...
(Tomorrow is my birthday)

October 04, 2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Happy Birthday a couple of days late! We have been so fortunate in these daughters, haven't we?

October 05, 2006 8:00 AM  
Blogger Lippy said...

The value of some gifts cannot be measured monetarily, but they can be priceless forever. I think this is one of those instances.

Happy Birthday to your Daughter

Jimmy

October 05, 2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Cynnie said...

daughters are the best!!
she'll grow up and be your best friend..amazing huh?

October 05, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

Oh I am late, late...

Happy Birthday C!

And Cynthia! What a beautiful, moving expression of love, mother hood, friendship for a daughter to have, bless you!

October 06, 2006 8:58 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Well! Happy Birthday to your baby girl. She has a new addition to the world to share her birthday with. :-)

ryanagi.blogspot.com

October 06, 2006 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a good mom!

October 10, 2006 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home