Tuesday, July 04, 2006

A simple holiday

You just have to love the complete disregard that small town residents have for fireworks laws. Driving down the main street of town tonight, I saw one beautiful burst after another. Granted, my depth perception isn't the best, but there's no way that these were all just outside of town. In one brilliant display of intellect, there was one group of people shooting off a fountain rocket in the parking lot of a gas station.

I can't talk too much though. The womanchild and her friends were throwing lit sparklers and and bottle rockets at each other in a friend's front yard. She has a couple of scars to prove it. She spent the night with a friend last night, and that turned into the day, and then she just had to stay for the fireworks. I've ended up spending about an hour with her today, but that's okay. I'd much rather her have fun with friends than be bored with us yet one more day. I may be old and tired, but she shouldn't have to live that way. If I were her age, I'd much rather chase my friends with fireworks than cook and clean another meal. Heck, I'd rather do that now, but it would take an awful lot of margaritas to get me started.

The highlight of my day was my homemade frozen peach yogurt. I've always been a snob about homemade ice cream. The kind made from a cooked custard and churned by hand was the best. Nothing compared to it. I'm too lazy though. I remember all too well layering ice with rock salt and turning the crank for what seemed like hours. My little countertop Black & Decker ice cream maker is so much easier, and if I get truly motivated, I can still use mom's old recipe. With barbecue, corn on the cob, fresh cantaloupe and my sugar free, low fat dessert, the only thing I lacked to make the day more American was apple pie.

I'm tired, glad to be going back to work tomorrow and extremely grateful that the air conditioner repairman said that there was no way he was going to make us wait another day to cool our house. After all the work the husband did, all he had to do was add more freon, so even the bill won't be too bad, even with a holiday service call. All in all, it was pleasant, low key day.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

There's just something about the 4th of July. . . last night before the fireworks a group of kids were playing soccer, kids I knew when they were younger than 5 who greww up to play high school soccer and have somehow become college seniors. It's just such a great time to be out.

July 05, 2006 6:46 AM  
Blogger Globetrotter said...

I'm laughing at your woman child. I guess I'm a childish woman because I was running up and down the beach with sparklers last night. And I only had one Mango Bango to get me started.

Your meal sounded divine. I have become averse to cooking since the fleglings left the nest, but your post made me feel nostalgic about the good ole days when I'd keep the yeast batter going for weeks on the friendship cake, switching from apples to bananas to blueberries as the seasons changed. Have you heard of the friendship cake recipe? I would love to get some of that starter batter again, but haven't a clue how it was made!

July 05, 2006 11:01 AM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

"Glad to be going back to work...."?! Mais, pourquois, mon amie? C'est terrible! :-)

July 05, 2006 6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home