Thursday, June 29, 2006

Cooking and questioning

I just finished making marinated tomatoes for tomorrow's dinner. I'm incredibly jealous of those TV chefs who can chop and slice anything quickly and gracefully because I'm terribly inept with knives. Tonight though I was really enjoying chopping the parsley and coring the tomatos. I'd gathered all of my ingredients together and set them to one side and by the time I finished mixing and whisking the marinade, I was just humming with pleasure. I even kept humming while I washed the dishes and cleaned the counters.

Sometimes cooking is just sheer pleasure, and other times, it's a chore that can make me whimper with the desire do anything else. I've begged myself more than once, "Please don't send me to the kitchen. Anything else, please." Why is it that a thing can be a treat sometimes and a burden others? It's not just responsibilities, either. As much as I hate to admit it, there are times when I would just rather not do things that are normally fun, like go to a party or have sex. It's more than being prepared. It's more than having enough time, though having to rush through anything usually takes away a good deal of the enjoyment. And it's more than beginning with the right attitude.I don't have any answers, but this is a good little late night puzzler for my mind to chew over. It certainly beats mulling over the checkbook.

If you enjoy good summer tomatoes as much as I do, this easy recipe from Paula Deen is great. Whisk together 3/4 c. vegetable oil, 1/2 c. red wine vinegar, 3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, 1 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 3/4 tsp dried oregano. Pour over 6 large tomatoes which have been cored and quartered. Marinate overnight in the fridge or for at least four hours. Bring to room temperature before serving.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love the easy recipes! :::making notes:::

Ivy

June 29, 2006 8:20 PM  
Blogger Shelina said...

Your daughter is certainly awesome. You should be proud.

I understand - sometimes you just have to be in the mood to do something. I love to cook too, but my daughter is used to having to eat frozen dinners and pizza. Depends on the mood.

June 29, 2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

That phenomenon of "rather not" do something otherwise enjoyable. I experience that all the time. It's a control thing, I think...

June 30, 2006 12:01 AM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

I think it sometimes has to do with a sense of obligation - if you HAVE to something, or feel as if you have to, it's not enjoyable.

Oh yeah. Lisa said that already. Drat. Well, at least I'm as smart as one person.

June 30, 2006 7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home