Thursday, July 06, 2006

Off kilter

The world went tipsy today. I got hit with vertigo this afternoon and have had that dreadful feeling of the world spinning and upending around me all evening. Worst of all, I didn't get the benefit of a grand and glorious drunk that would have merited this kind of punishment. Things have slowed down somewhat, but it's still strange. I'm staggering, walking into walls and dearly wishing I could just vomit and set the world right. Alas, the old college remedy just isn't going to work, and if the world is still waltzing without me tomorrow, I'll be off to the doctor for something, anything. I never could stand this feeling.

It's just a strange day. Our local school board terminated our superintendent, a man for whom I hold true fondness and respect. He's exiting with the dignity I've always associated with him, and I hope that this is just one of those terrible things that actually make way for something better to come along for him. I see both sides of the issue around his termination, but this is a man who chose to take a personal interest in my daughter when he didn't have to, and his support motivated her tremendously. Regardless of the other factors involved, primarily some stagnation in problem solving, I know that this is a real loss for our school system.

I found out that an old acquaintance died yesterday. Her death was deemed a suicide by gunshot, and I'm just stunned. She was younger than me, a successful attorney, a wife and mother of a beautiful little girl. It's been several years since we've seen each other, and I can't even imagine what drove her to this. I don't want to believe it.

If emotions alone drive physical feelings, it's no wonder I'm off balance tonight.

8 Comments:

Blogger Theresa Williams said...

Oh Cynthia. What a bizarre day. I hope you regain your footing soon.

July 06, 2006 11:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Inner ear infection? Sinus problems? I get that vertigo feeling once in awhile, and I hate it.

It does seem to have been a topsy-turvy day for you. Nasty. Hope tomorrow is better.

July 07, 2006 12:14 AM  
Blogger beths front porch said...

Cynthia, those are all traumatic, painful events. My best to you - I share in your pain.

July 07, 2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I recently lost a coworker a gentle and kind man who had two beautiful daughters and three grandchildren he adored. Our office is grief stricken and we have struggled with so many emotions. We had a counsellor from a suicide prevention group visit us and that was helpful. I guess sometimes people are able to mask their depressions and don't get the help they need. Hope you feel better. Hugs.

July 08, 2006 2:28 PM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Cynthia, I am so sorry about your friend.

July 09, 2006 2:16 AM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

My word Cynthia...Sendng you thoughts and blessings...(and a kick to the earth to get back in position ) ;)

Peace my friend

July 09, 2006 5:17 AM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

...a bit worried about you, hon. Let us know whether things have righted themselves yet....

July 11, 2006 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

July 21, 2006 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home