Friday, July 14, 2006

Another Friday night

Ever since I was a teenager myself, I thought it a sign of the wonderful, twisted sense of humor of God/dess that girls develop carbonating hormones around the same time that their mothers find their own hormones distilling. As my daughter develops into champagne (her touch is light, but the aftereffects are something else), I don't know if I'm turning into a sophisticated pinot or grocery store vinegar.

I enjoy my daughter's company, but I do enjoy those times when she's off somewhere with friends or being spoiled by a doting grandmother and great aunt. She took a long time beating her shyness into submission, and she's so sassy now that many people don't realize how sensitive or shy she can be. When she finally developed her own busy social life, I was thrilled. My Palm has a category just for her events, and sad to say, there are more for her than me. The extra expense of entertainment and more clothes, I was glad of it. The extra miles spent running her around, I was thrilled, just point me in the right direction.

So tonight, when I was home alone with the husband, and I was just blogging as he was watching TV, I was delighted. It was quiet. It was calm. We've gotten boring. This is one of those disheartening moments when I realize that I have turned into my mother, minus the great body, good looks and bubbly personality.

Sigh. I would have to get that disgruntled exhale from her instead.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It really seems life is just a string of ages and stages. Right now Bug (who'll be 7 on Sunday) is just a chatterbox. My ears are so happy when she goes outside or off to sleep. Sometimes she talks so much, my brain ceases to function. Yet, part of me wants to hang on every word. Afraid I'll miss something delightful. Or that maybe one day she'll be at the stage where Mama is the last one she talks to.

July 15, 2006 1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stages of life sometimes found me unprepared. I never dreamed that, just as my son reached the age of teen identity crisis, I would be facing a menopausal identity crisis of my own. Unfair!

July 15, 2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

It is such a delight to read your blog. You have a way with words. Champagne is a good way to describe it. You say what I cannot express, and it is good to know that others are feeling it too.
My daughter has an active social life as well, and I chauffer her around. My own social life is nonexistant right now except for the contact it has with hers. She is graduating next year and that leaves me very worried.
And oh yeah I have that sigh down pat too.

July 15, 2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger V said...

Definitely Pinot Noir!
Hugs,
V

July 16, 2006 6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home