Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Now this is love

A mother has to brag some-times, and the woman-child deserves it. I've really been wanting to clean out my kitchen cabinets, declutter and reorganize. It's amazing how much stuff accumulates during twenty years of marriage. I mean, who really needs an indoor S'mores maker?

However, a middle aged body can only take one afternoon of stooping and crawling around on my knees before complaining quite loudly, and yesterday evening's oven cleaning did me in. So the womanchild stepped up to the plate. I should make that plates, pots, pans, cake platters, tupperware, and all the fancy crystal stuff that gets used just on the big holiday dinners. She pulled everything out of 19 cabinets, stripped the shelf liner paper, replaced it, helped me sort all of the contents and decide what to eliminate. We washed and dried everything together, and she put all the remaining contents back in a neatly organized fashion. We only have 11 cabinets left to finish.

If this weren't enough, she got in a serious tug of war over shelf liner with the cabinet monster, and it looked like it was going to win. At one point, all I could see were her legs, and they were heading deeper into the cabinet. I'm afraid that this was a severely overdue chore. Inside, she found not only spilled and dried pancake syrup, but a container of vegetable oil that had developed a messy leak. When she emerged from underneath the counter, slimy, sticky, gritty and exhausted described her best.

I had planned to do this slowly over a week's time. Making accommodations for my prodigious procrastination and lack of speed when it comes to chores I really hate, it probably would have taken two weeks. Because I have a wonderful daughter, I'm looking at two days. She didn't have to do this. She volunteered. I would have been tickled if she had just brought me garbage bags when I was doing the dirty work. As it, I'm thrilled.

Yep, I've got every right to brag. The womanchild is smart, hard working, talented, loving and funny. While I'm at it, she's awfully cute too.


10 Comments:

Blogger redsneakz said...

I am always thrilled when my little ones offer to help me cook dinner - invariably at my house. :-)

June 28, 2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

Hmmmm...Kid is onto something here...I got me a few cupboards, lol. Hey wait a minute. I have one of those teens too!
Way to go!!! I love when the kids do these little unsuspecting 'things'!

She IS a keeper!

Peace
Jo

June 28, 2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Truly amazing for a teenager to volunteer to help with such a chore. She's learning well for the day when she owns her own "digs." :-]

June 28, 2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

Congrats, Cyn.

This kind of job can make you feel good for quite a while, too. Every time you open those cabinets and see the new shelf paper, everything organized and spic and span, you and she will both get a renewed sense of satisfaction. Coolness.

Will you be having a yard sale now?

June 29, 2006 12:16 AM  
Blogger V said...

Woo Hoo!
Lucky you!
V

June 29, 2006 7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cynthia, you must be raising her right! You should be proud and delighted! And I bet she got a lot of satisfaction from it too. ;o) -

June 29, 2006 8:48 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

I think she needs a field trip to the North. I know just where she can get an internship in kitchen organization.

June 29, 2006 12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so cool! A great daughter for a great mom!

June 29, 2006 8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops. That was me.
Ivy

June 29, 2006 8:19 PM  
Blogger Celeste said...

may I borrow womanchild?

July 01, 2006 10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home