Saturday, February 18, 2006

I'm good

I knew my project at work would finally wrap up yesterday. The battles had been fought, the details arranged. I went into my office armed. My hair was severely pulled back into, if I say myself, a rather elegant chignon. I wore large gold and pearl earrings, and the black suit that one friend describes as my "mistress" suit and my husband says is my "bitch" suit. It's black with an asymmetrical jacket closure and black and white animal print cuffs and collar. I knew what I was facing and wanted every bit of visual authority I could muster. Basically, my job was to corral a rowdy and contentious bunch of people and get the final paperwork signed, but I couldn't use ropes, whips or brands, despite the temptation. Besides, neither cowboy nor dominatrix attire suits me.

An hour and a half before everyone from seven different groups is supposed to sit down together to finalize the deal, every detail on my end gets changed. I managed to arrange a delay of several hours for everyone and pulled it all together. I have a great manager and the support staff is incredible. I wrapped everything up about nine last night and came home to talk with the family, then slept like a log.

I'm still in my flannel gown today, bumming around, taking it easy with cheesy TV, hot chocolate and housework avoidance. I pulled off something extremely difficult and did it well. I feel good, strong and confident, and I just may stay in this gown until I go to hear a free concert at church tonight. The band is The Sun Survivors, musicians who played with the rockabilly greats of Sun Studio like Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and Elvis. I just love that my church sponsors evening like this that aren't churchy or just oriented to spiritual needs. In the meantime, my hot chocolate is just about ready, and a dvd is begging to be played.

Popcorn, anybody?

11 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Congratulations, and have a great evening!

February 18, 2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger Christina K Brown said...

I know what you mean about wearing you pjs too long...

Glad your meeting went well!!!

Last weekend our church had Rebecca St James in concert and she is Great in concert! I had no idea it was going to be like a "real" concert but it was.

Light effects, smoke and video. Loud and messages of absentence for the teenagers. The Barlow Girls were with her...it was good.

February 18, 2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Well done, my friend! I'm so proud of you! :-]

February 18, 2006 3:45 PM  
Blogger Vicky said...

Congratulations, Cynthia - you deserve today!! My hero!

How funny you should mention the Sun Studio - I took myself to the movies yesterday and saw "Walk the Line." A good movie. I had no idea that Johnny Cash had lost a brother in so tragic a way. How sad.

Love to hear of your triumphs, my dear - keep 'em coming!

Love Vicky

February 18, 2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Paula J. Lambert said...

Awesome! Congrats!! Hope you're evening is as fun as it is well deserved.

February 18, 2006 7:42 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

KUDOS!

February 18, 2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger TJ said...

Nothing like a concert to fill that void of inspiration. Sounds like a good one too! I loved the way you ddescribed your day...powerful and with closure. Those are the best!
TJ

February 19, 2006 4:21 AM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

Wow...you deserve to spoil yourself today. Enjoy your feeling of accomplishment!

February 19, 2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger V said...

Aww, Cyn. Congrats!
V

February 21, 2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

Congradulations on your meeting! Don't we deserve PJ days after a job well done...yep.

February 22, 2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Jod{i} said...

Sigh...That just sounds heavenly to me!
Extra butta please!

February 24, 2006 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home