Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haibun challenge

Theresa challenged me to join her in keeping a haibun (a Japanese poetry form combining prose and haiku) journal. I'd never tried this form before and have found it a bit daunting. That's always a good thing when I sit down to write. I find myself doing my best work when I'm a little intimidated by what I'm writing. So, here's my first attempt.


The drive to work is rote, curves, rough road and speed traps engraved in muscle memory. My mind wanders, eating miles, and I find myself surprised by where I am. I notice the sky while going down an exit ramp. It's a richer blue than just days before, making the bareness of the trees on this cool mid-winter morning look out of place and temporary.

The wheel does not stop.
Change is inevitable,
secure as routine.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Nice!

January 21, 2010 11:55 AM  
Blogger marigolds2 said...

I've been reading, and loving, Theresa's Haibun journal. I wonder if you have a sort of definition of this form - I have never known it before, and am interested in getting into it myself. My maain question is this - is the prose intro considered a part of the Haibun? Is it a twopart thing? I'll be able to comment more intelligently once I understand the form.

January 21, 2010 12:41 PM  
Blogger Theresa Williams said...

A+ Cynthia. I like your work best when it is condensed and image driven. Beautiful!

January 21, 2010 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home