Friday, January 08, 2010

The Friday Five

I haven't done The Friday Five or any other blogging meme in a long time, and I've got the urge to blog and nothing else to write about, here goes.

1. Do you tend to daydream?
I think of daydreams as Walter Mitty-esque flights of fantasy, and I don't really indulge in those. However, I do indulge in memories, wishful thinking -- all too often about what I should have said, and thinking about things I'll write. An idea will drift across the brain, and the next thing I know, I'm trying to turn it into a poem or a story. Those can all count as daydreams though, so the answer is yes.

2. Do you usually remember your night dreams? Do you find them symbolic and meaningful or just quirky?
I don't usually remember my dreams, so when I do, I pay attention and usually find meaning. When I remember my dreams, it's usually my way of consciously accepting something that's been bothering me that I either couldn't or didn't want to identify. Often it's something I'm stressed about, and thinking through the dream's images becomes the first step to handling it instead of just worrying over it.

3. Have you ever had a life changing dream which you'll never forget?
I'm still not sure if I'd call this life changing, but it's definitely something I'll never forget. As a child, I had a recurring dream that everyone thought I was dead. I was laid out in a coffin and only had a limited time to make people realize that I was really alive before I would actually die. There were creatures (for lack of a better word) trying to thwart my efforts. The setting, the characters, the actions, even the dialogue were always the same. It terrified me then, and thinking about it still gives me the willies. I had that dream for years, my dream self aging as I did. It finally ended in my early twenties, coincidentally around the time I started developing some self-confidence.

4. Share a long term dream for one or more aspects of your life and work.
I'm just now regaining the ability to dream in the long term. I've been focused for years on just getting through the challenge of the moment. Because of that, those dreams are still a bit too delicate to share, except for one. Publication. I've taken the action step of purchasing both The Writer's Market and The Poet's Market and have begun some research. It's time to do more than dream.

5. Share a dream for 2010....How can we support you in prayer on both the short and long term dreams?
I was thinking a lot about this subject today before I read the Friday Five. A better job tops the list. The dream is a job that will use my talents, allow me opportunities to feel truly useful and return some financial stability to my life. The next biggest dream is to reconnect with people again. My hermit life has grown old, and I want to learn again how to make friends and relate well with people again. A date or two along the way wouldn't be bad either. Prayers are most definitely welcome.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home