Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Surprised

Glamour magazine created some stir last year with an edition featuring a "plus size" model. (I use the quotations because the model wore a size 12, one size smaller than the average American woman. Yeah, a size 12 model is plus sized compared to a size 0 model, but I won't go off any more about that.) Apparently it's sparked a trend, and now V Magazine, which I've never read, but will very, very soon is featuring a spread with multiple plus size models as well as their skinnier counterparts.

The trend isn't that surprising, but when I looked at some of the pictures, I was delightfully shocked. The models are not surprisingly beautiful, but their bodies look real. They have not just curves, but natural folds, and they're gorgeous. Even better, they get to wear the good stuff -- Versace, Chanel, and more. The stuff I only dream of wearing.

I wish I'd been able to see something like this in a magazine when I was 16 years old. Even at my age, I get a little thrill about Seven jeans being available at Lane Bryant. Maybe the door to a more realistic image of women's bodies and a healthier standard for beauty is opening a little.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa :-] said...

My body didn't look that good when I weighed 120 lbs!

It's about time the clothing industry got around to thinking about designig for REAL women. How soon we forgot that Marilyn Monroe was a size 16!

January 06, 2010 7:40 PM  
Blogger marigolds2 said...

Yow!! Gotta go look for this V Magazine, which I have never heard of. Haven't been in Lane Bryant for a while, either, got tired of all the turquoise polyester clothing. Maybe I should check 'em out, see what they have available now.

January 07, 2010 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home