Friday, August 07, 2009

Simple pleasure

One of the simple pleasures in my life is going through the produce department of a grocery store, a farmer's market or a vegetable stand. The colors, the aromas, the anticipation of tastes, the dreams of cooking a great meal from scratch that friends and family will enjoy, the knowledge that I'm enjoying something that for once is undeniably good for me, and childhood memories of going to my father's grocery store all contribute to a wonderful sense of quiet joy and peace.

Yesterday was grocery day, and it was also the day I found a bag of tomatoes by my back door. This morning, I looked in the fridge and just felt good. Tomatoes, cucumbers, raspberries, blueberries, cherries, all clean, colorful and shiny lay there just waiting on me. I had fragrant basil picked from my sister's backyard garden. There was fresh mozzarella, aged cheddar and a little container of real cream. Feeling healthy, virtuous and decadent when you're deciding what you'll have for breakfast is a great way to start the day.

I just finished a mid-morning snack of sweet red cherries and have decided to share the wealth. Instead of tossing the pits into the garbage like I usually do, they're going in the yard. Let the birds and squirrels indulge. Who knows? I might even get a little cherry tree from the process. Wouldn't that be fun?

1 Comments:

Blogger Sage Ravenwood said...

I feel the same way having fresh produce in my refrigerator. Just reading the descriptions of what was in yours made me smile. (Hugs)Indigo

August 07, 2009 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home