Friday, April 10, 2009

Morning lesson

I am constantly looking for images, signs, new symbols, and when I receive one, it's a delight.

Candlelight is one of the pleasures in my life. I consistently keep a candle burning under a fragrant wax or oil. Every evening, I'll have at least one candle burning just to enjoy the softening of light. I rarely use my crystal or silver candlestick holders. Like the fine china, they come out only when I entertain others. For my own pleasure, I have other candle holders, inexpensive, some practical, some whimsical, but all appealing to something inside me. One of my favorites I picked up at big box store. It's nothing fancy, a stained glass cup with no handle made of small irregular tortoiseshell tinted and gold painted squares. It sits on a matching saucer.

Weeks ago, my candle burned down inside it completely. The melted wax adhered to the interior, and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the candle remnants out. I scraped, pried, and picked. I poured hot water into the cup, hoping to soften it. I placed it in a water bath on my stove, letting the heat gradually build. Still that chunk of wax was stuck. It's been sitting on my kitchen counter for weeks now, and this morning, I just decided to give up, and use it anyway with smaller candles and accept that the light refraction would be diminished but still enjoyable. I washed it along with my other dishes, and set it upside down on the dish rack to air dry. That's when that stubborn hunk of wax just fell out.

I know that all of my efforts over the weeks contributed to my ultimate candle wax victory, but time and time again, I'm reminded to just surrender and accept things the way they are. It seems that only then do my efforts succeed. I guess I need both, the acceptance of reality and the work to make things better.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nelle said...

We all need both. Sometimes it's hard to let go and accept reality. Hoping you have a wonderful and meaningful Easter Weekend.

April 10, 2009 1:06 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Absolutely. And here's another "life lesson:" If you keep moving, you'll get somewhere, even if it's not where you thought you would end up.

April 10, 2009 4:21 PM  
Blogger Jul said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 11, 2009 4:35 AM  
Blogger Jul said...

Sometimes it is the smallest things that pring a sense of pleasure into our lives. I too have candles or oil burnerss going everyday, usually accompanied my soft music.

A freind gave me a crystal vitove holder of a cat curled up in the sleeping position many years ago (finally, a cat I am not allergic to) that I still use regularly and it is good for not gvimg up the wax if I don't clean it out immediately. My simple remedy is to put it in the microwave for 20 seconds at a time until the wax is soft enopugh to slip out. I only discovered this after going though all the steps you did with the hot water and the soaking and such.

April 11, 2009 4:39 AM  
Blogger alphawoman said...

So much wisdom in this post...and truth. Beautiful in its simplicy.

April 11, 2009 7:17 AM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I like this very much, and I'm glad that the wax came out. Sometimes, putting it in the freezer works even better than heat in removing old wax.

April 11, 2009 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home