Thursday, April 23, 2009

Good day, good memory

86 degrees, 31% humidity, 10 mile visibility. This is springtime in Tennessee. It has been an absolutely beautiful day, and I got an unexpected gift of grace. Lately, every time I've turned on the radio, I've heard one of R.'s favorite songs. Six times this week, I've heard two of the songs that were played at his funeral. That's not easy. Today, I got in my car and got hit with Walking on Sunshine.

R. loved this song. I mean he just adored it. He had a bit of a crush on Katrina, but who could blame him for that. Every time he heard this song, he had to dance. He was an absolutely terrible dancer, but he danced with an infectious joy and enthusiasm, and he often dragged my shy, clumsy butt to join him as first couple on the dance floor.

We saw Katrina and the Waves in concert at Mud Island in Memphis way back when. They were the opening act for Don Henley on his Boys of Summer tour. I remember one of those absolutely incredible sunsets you only get over the Mississippi River, the kind of heat that lets Southerners know they have their own weather survival skills, and dancing, laughing and singing in the aisles. I was laughing and singing along again today.

"I feel alive, I feel a love, I feel a love that's really real."

1 Comments:

Blogger alphawoman said...

Joe and I are considering catching one day of performances at the May Fest thingie going on next week end in Memphis. Quite the mix of artists! Korn and geo. Clinton, Bonnie Raidt and James Taylor!

April 25, 2009 5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home