Sunday, January 04, 2009

Miscellany

I am absolutely addicted to Car Talk. I love this show. I listen in every Saturday morning as I'm driving to work. These guys crack me up, and I love that they're really into keeping older cars going. Since I'm hardly a motor head and can barely tell a dipstick from a radiator cap, you wouldn't think this would be something I love. It just shows humor and charm can make anything more interesting.

I have two dogs. They're both a mix of Labrador, Border Collie and something much smaller than either breed because they're half the size of their parents. One looks like a lab and the other like a collie. They're buddies, but they're both very jealous of my attention. Though small for their heritage, neither is lap dog sized. That hasn't stopped them though. Lately, when I'm giving one more attention than the other likes, either will jump in my lap. They're indoor dogs, but do like to go outside for minutes at a time on their own. (Longer spells require me and leashes.) They crack me up when it's outdoor time. They'll come running up, wagging their tales, and the minute I say, "Outdoors?", they start turning in circles. One is always clockwise, and the other counterclockwise. You'd think they'd choreographed it.

I also have 6 cats, four of whom are half grown kittens. One is a rescue kitty, and the other three are "I didn't get to the vet in time before Dusty's first heat." I failed in my latest round of home finding and find myself on the verge of being the crazy cat lady again. I bought a bag of catnip for the first time in ages the other day. It was my kitten's first experience with the hard stuff, and it was hilarious. Four kitties rolling around, staggering, eyes dilated -- I was reminded of my first college fraternity party. The two adult cats just laid there and purred. There are benefits to getting older.

I was so proud of my co-workers today. A transsexual came in to buy an expensive dress today. Her appearance and appearance indicated that she was in hormone therapy and pre-operation. Now I live in a very small town and work in a moderately larger one, so this is not an everyday occurrence. I also live in a very conservative area so I'm never quite sure what the reaction to people who are visibly different will be, but the hospitality the south is supposed to have showed itself today. Everyone was just so nice and so cool. It really made me proud.

When I was without a car and a job, my friends often ran errands for me. One, a former smoker who understands why I haven't yet quit, would often bring me cigarettes. One day, she brought me a bag of loose tobacco and rolling papers because she thought I'd want to save the money, and it is significantly cheaper. I did, so I started rolling my own to make my preferred brand last longer. I admit it feels funny, but I have to laugh at the looks that people give this middle aged woman when I smoke in my car.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sarah S-D said...

that is cool about your coworkers. thanks for sharing.

January 05, 2009 3:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Enjoyed the entry. Whether one agrees with a persons lifestyle or not, it is never right to be cruel or rude. So glad the South was represented well.

I know a number of folks who roll their own Bugler tobacco to save $$.

January 05, 2009 4:31 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

I LOVE Car Talk. I've been listening to "Click and Clack" for years.

January 05, 2009 10:29 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

If anyone asks you what you're rolling, just tell them 'catnip'. :)

January 06, 2009 2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home