Thursday, November 13, 2008

Vroom

I've been grounded for months. Mot in the frustrating teenage, go to your room stocked with every convenience sort of way,the law has held me in check. In August I found out that my driver's license had been suspended due to a ticket that I thought had been paid but wasn't. Shortly after that, the womanchild totalled our car, so even if I had been tempted to drive, I didn't have the opportunity. Being unemployed, replacing the car has been a challenge, but this week, I got it done. A job interview on Monday took up that day, so yesterday, I spent most of my day waiting in government offices to pay my old ticket, the reinstatement fee on my suspended license, and the fee for my license. Another good part is that my new license now shows a much thinner me than the old one. Today, I took care of the new plates and title and the insurance. I'm officially broke again, but oh, it feels good to be mobile. I feel like I have some independence back, and losing that sense of being able to take care of things has felt crushing at times.

I had to drive to the county seat to take care of the tags, and that's about a 25 minutie drive on a two lane country highway. It's been one of those glorious Autumn days. It started rainy and misty and cleared to a brilliant blues. Leaves were piled everywhere and eddying in the wind. The radio in the car gives info about the songs that are playing, and I heard a good new rock song called Amen that had me bopping in the driver's seat, and I've been smiling ever since.

Now, I'm home. My errands are run. I've got blues on Last.fm's radio, and I'm wondering where the road will call me tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Yay!

November 13, 2008 5:42 PM  
Blogger Sage Ravenwood said...

Sounds like it was an awesome day! Amen is believe it or not by Kid Rock. I love that song. I have it in my player on my sidebar. (I know it sounds strange to be hearing a deaf woman talk music. The thing is I knew what certain songs sounded like before I lost my hearing. So why not at least let my readers enjoy it.) (Hugs)Indigo

November 13, 2008 7:30 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

There is nothing...nothing like the freedom of the road.

Especially on a beautiful fall day.

This makes me smile...REALLY big smile. :D

November 13, 2008 11:26 PM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I am so happy you are mobile once again. In this day and age transportation is a must, particularly when you are job searching. I am hoping and praying to hear good news about that soon. Enjoy your new found freedom.

November 14, 2008 6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great it's lovely to have freedom again :)

November 15, 2008 6:05 AM  
Blogger IndigoSunMoon said...

Dont you just love it when you find out things like that? Ugh! I'm glad you are back on the road again, and I wish you good luck in the job search.
Love you hun!
Connie

November 15, 2008 2:38 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'd go crazy if it weren't for my weekly drives. I went a year without a license at 20/21 years old because it was medically revoked due to seizures. I can appreciate your "grounding".

November 16, 2008 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home