Saturday, June 07, 2008

Rescue

Today the womanchild rescued a kitten. He had gotten stuck in the engine of a car parked in the parking lot at the strip mall where I work. She and a few others heard it crying, and together the group worked to get it out. C. was the only one small enough to get under the car and reach up and get the kitten. After a trip to the vet, where it was pronounced in decent health and probably suffering from kitty PTSD, the kitty joined our home at least for awhile. Right now, none of the other cats are too impressed. The three kittens ignore him. The momma cat hisses at him, and the dogs, who generally like kittens (particularly the one who looks more border collie than lab), terrify him.

He allowed C. to feed him. He fought a badly needed bath. She was surprised to find he was orange instead of gray. It's still going to take a couple more baths to get the rest of the oil from his coat. After that he immediately hid. It took C. quite awhile to find him.

When I got home from work, the first thing I wanted to do was see the new kitty. She handed him to me, and I sat down and put him on my lap. He immediately crawled to my breasts and soon fell asleep. After a little while, he woke up and started one of the richest purrs I've ever heard in such a little cat. The vet estimates he's about six weeks old. Apparently he's quite taken with me. He'll get up to explore a little and then come back and settle in right over my heart to nap again.

It feels good. He's adorable in a goofy cat kind of way, and he's still very scared until he crawls up on me. I don't feel good for much in this world right now, but I make a comfortable resting place for a small, scared kitty. It may be a little thing, but it's something, and tonight, it's enough.

9 Comments:

Blogger IndigoSunMoon said...

You said the kitty had found a home "at least for a while." Sounds to me like he's found a home for life. Admit it girl...you already love the little furball...
Luv you!
Connie

June 08, 2008 10:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cynthia, sometimes the cat we save, saves us. I have lived it, and I believe it. Blessings to you and to the little fellow.

June 08, 2008 1:03 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I'm not a cat person myself, but that kitten sounds like a sweetie.

June 08, 2008 7:29 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

The Universe sometimes blesses us with a little morsel of the soul of a love one crossed to the other side--in the form of another creature--to comfort us in our grief.

What a wonderful little gift!

June 08, 2008 7:48 PM  
Blogger Virginia said...

Its the middle of the night and I can't sleep . . . I had the thought while reading this that there is a poem in this story. (Of course, not being a writer or a poet, it can't come from me.)

Virginia

June 10, 2008 2:09 AM  
Blogger more cows than people said...

i just read your last two posts side by side and there seems something significant in taking in an endangered animal just now... as tribute? as connection? and just as love... in any case, both posts are powerful. and i'm still sending love.

June 11, 2008 7:26 AM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

Kittens are Prozac on four legs. Especially teensy ones.

June 12, 2008 3:48 PM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

He sounds like my cat Mowgli...whom I had no intention of keeping...but we bonded, and how I loved that cat! "It feels good"...that's the important thing.

Judi

June 16, 2008 1:36 PM  
Blogger seethroughfaith said...

what a blessing

June 25, 2008 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home