Sunday, September 16, 2007

Tangent from a movie

I just watched one of my all time favorite movies, Moonstruck. With dialogue like this, it's hard not to love it:

Loretta, I love you. Not like they told you love is, and I didn't know this either,but love don't make things nice - it ruins everything. It breaks your heart. It makes things a mess. We aren't here to make things perfect. The snowflakes are perfect. The stars are perfect. Not us. Not us! We are here to ruin ourselves and to break our hearts and love the wrong people and die. The storybooks are bullshit. Now I want you to come upstairs with me and get in my bed!

Ronny Cammareri knew a thing or two. And he does have "those bad eyes, like a gypsy." Swoon, just swoon.

I want a man who loves Puccini, the Beatles, the moon and me...who'll eat pasta, half naked and laughing, on the kitchen floor at 3:00 in the morning, and who irons his own pants before heading sleepily to work.

It's the girl in me that's capable of falling in love like that -- of wanting like that. Being girly like that is good and sweet and pure and fun. Girliness is where the seeds of my passions are planted. My dreams are held in the heart of the girl who lives deep inside me. It takes the brave heart of a girl to imagine life and love on an operatic, fairy tale, mythic scale. I never want to lose that girl. I never want to disrespect her giggle, her sighs, her potential or her dreams.

It's the woman in me though that is capable of a deep, sustaining love -- the kind of love that can sustain a lifetime of unshaven mornings, bad moods that don't dissipate over a cup of coffee and dreams tucked away as dry as petals from an old cherished bouquet. A woman's face holds up to the noonday sun as well as a full moon. It is the woman in me that knows passion is in the embers as well as the flames and has the temerity to stir the ashes to find heat and life. I'm glad I've become that woman. I never want to disrespect her patience, her persistence, her iron forged hope or her strength.

,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home