Thursday, May 24, 2007

The weekly weigh in, week 37

Ummm, there was a lag in between my diuretics running out and being eligible for a refill, and I fell down the steps and banged up my knee again, so I haven't been able to really exercise for a few days, and it's not really my fault I gained four pounds this week.

That wasn't really convincing, was it? Should I throw in that the dog ate my food journal?

Those things are true, and I know that they did play a role in gaining weight this week. However, eating out three times this week and not speaking up when my group suggested buffet restaurants might have had a thing or two to do with it. So might the two bottles of wine I drank one night. (OK, that was worth it. I needed a night to let my hair down.) So might the fact that I didn't track my food as accurately as I should have.

I just blew it this week. This gain is a natural consequence of my behavior. On the good side, though I overate, my food choices were still healthier than they would have been a few months ago. On the bad side, eating too many cheddar flavored mini rice cakes really is the same as eating too many potato chips. Unfortunately so is wallowing in freshly picked strawberries, but that does sound somewhat healthier, doesn't it?

The really good news is what my weight loss means when my klutziness rears its head. There is a loose brick on my front steps. The kitten heel of a darling mule caught in the loose mortar and I pitched forward. I'm beginning to lose count of how many times I've fallen down my steps, but for once, my shoe took more damage than my body. I'm bruised, scraped, a little stiff and limping slightly. The last time this happened, I needed a cane and a painkiller prescription. Since the chances of my gracelessness ever changing are practically nonexistent, I have another motivator to get back on my diet now. Recovery is much easier when there's less pressure on my joints. After my knee surgery, my doctor told me that every pound of weight is five pounds of pressure on the knees with every step. That's over 300 pounds of pressure I've taken off my body. No wonder I used to feel so tired all the time.

So, I really blew it this week. I had a few good days, but most lacked healthy discipline. I just have to pick it back up now. If I eat anything else tonight, I'm counting the points. I'll plan a menu for the week tonight and make sure that it has food that I can anticipate and enjoy. If I get asked to eat out this week, I'll insist on no buffets. Anybody who would ask me out to eat should understand. I've come too far to let a few days make me drop the habits I'm acquiring.

Weekly Summary: Weekly change, gained 4 pounds. Total loss, 61.5 pounds, Average weekly loss, 1.66 pounds.

, , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Gannet Girl said...

That statistic from your doc is quite sobering.

And I didn't know LOL that you have a dog!

Don't worry, Cyn. I know you are already back on track.

May 25, 2007 7:18 AM  
Blogger more cows than people said...

Cyn, your clarity and honesty in this weight loss journey is so healthy, so refreshing, and is why you've seen so much success and will continue to see much success. Peace be with you.

May 25, 2007 7:50 AM  
Blogger V said...

Hi Cyn,
It`s so nice to go visiting again!
You`ll hear more from me!

Love,

V

May 25, 2007 2:14 PM  
Blogger redsneakz said...

As you've said, the important thing is not to be discouraged when you have "bad" weeks. I'm pulling for you :-)

C

May 26, 2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger emmapeelDallas said...

I love this, because it's a great reminder that we're all human, and when we fall off the wagon, we need to just dust ourselves off and get back on up. Thanks for the eloquent reminder.

J

May 29, 2007 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home