Saturday, January 20, 2007

Perspective

My husband finally called a professional to look at our heater. (It only took him four days of fiddling around while his flu, strep and bronchitis ridden wife and daughter huddled around a space heater with 20 something degree temperatures outside. If I had had a voice at all, I would have called, but no, I trusted him once again.) The HVAC guy found out that the compressor is shot, but our system does have an emergency backup. He switched it over to emergency mode and said that if I let him replace the compressor, he wouldn't charge me for this visit.

I'm hoping the emergency system will hang in there until my next decent project finishes.

Anyway, with one full day of warmth after seven days of running a temperature, my fever broke, and my voice returned. I do sound like a drag queen, but it's always good to keep people guessing. With both internal and external temperatures in a normal range, I finally feel up to doing something besides sleeping and occasionally moaning. My animals are terrible housekeepers. Even as smart as border collies are, they're terrible with dust cloths, and I know how my energy will be spent.

I started early this morning. No matter how hard I try to sleep late, my body will rise at 5:30. I started laundry. I put up dishes. I swept. I got bored and went outside for some fresh air. Smart decision. On the eastern skyline was an incredible sunrise of melting liquid gold. After days of seeing walls, dust and clutter, I gasped and broadened my view to take in a pink and blue sky, streaked with columns of wispy clouds, and naked trees drawn with bold charcoal strokes on an illuminated pastel background. Closer, each plant, each leaf, each twig seemed sharper and more detailed than possible. The cold chased me quickly back indoors, but I felt like scales had been taken off my eyes.

This is just an ordinary day, and it takes my breath away.

, ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

she is okay...thanks so much for your concern!

January 20, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Our heater did the same thing this year. It went out when it was in the 20's. We bought a brand new furnance and guess what....the next day we had 60-70 degree temps for a month!


Have a great weekend!
Chris
My Blog

January 20, 2007 4:25 PM  
Blogger Lisa :-] said...

Sometimes the ordinary days are the most inspiring...

January 20, 2007 10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear you are feeling better! Do hope the whole heating situation works out. You remain in my prayers.

January 21, 2007 11:08 AM  
Blogger Gannet Girl said...

Cynthia, your writing is exquisite. And I'm glad you're better.

January 21, 2007 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home